G Series Zoom

N

NoTx

Does anyone have any expirence with this lens? Is it a worthwhile reason to get a G2 over a G1? I have a G1 and was wondering.

Stats are not that great, but I live in So.California, aka a vast populated desert. So we have a lot of sunny days.

Thanks all!

I wouldn't bother with the G2 for the 35-70 zoom. The joy of RF cameras is that they use fast lenses and this zoom kinda spoils the fun. Keep your G1 if that's what you have now.

I believe Kyocera will update G-1's to accomodate the 35-70 zoom free of charge. I bought a G-1 Wednesday at B&H for $549.00 including 45mm f2 planar and the dedicated flash. I haven't used it yet, but if I take some good shots will post.
I agree with Francisco, though, if you want a zoom use an SLR or a P&S. Using a classy RF with a zoom is IMHO like using a Bentley to deliver pizza.
Kurt M.

So... you're one of us now, Kurt?

I have a green sticker G1 combo with the famed Planar 45mm, the maligned Planar 35mm, and the TLA140 flash. Load them with slow film and shoot away! They're neat travel cameras. The last time I went to Costa Rica I took mine and the Nikon F80 gear I have... And I ended up using the Contax most of the time. Little tough camera... See what you can do when you load it with ISO 100 slide film:

Last edited:
Scarpia said:
I believe Kyocera will update G-1's to accomodate the 35-70 zoom free of charge. I bought a G-1 Wednesday at B&H for $549.00 including 45mm f2 planar and the dedicated flash. I haven't used it yet, but if I take some good shots will post.
I agree with Francisco, though, if you want a zoom use an SLR or a P&S. Using a classy RF with a zoom is IMHO like using a Bentley to deliver pizza.
Kurt M.

Zooms are incredibly helpfull where I live. But that one is just too big (and only G2, which is also just a hair too big). But it is not uncommon for me to not want to remove lenses due to air quality. Either during rough winds (which include sand or dirt) or when close to fires (yes, I will chase those when they happpen).

BTW- congrats on the G1. I love mine. However, if you ended up with the TLA200, I strongly suggest getting the extension cable so you can shoot people without redeye.

NoTx is right, Kurt. If you got the TLA200... make sure to use it with something whenever you photograph people. The previous flash, the TLA140, does everything the TLA200 can do, except for second-curtain flash. See if you can get a used one instead. They really were carefully designed: if you forget to turn it off, the flash will automatically turn itself off, even if the switch is in the "on" position. Believe me, this feature alone has saved me a lot of grief! :)

And, again, Kurt, congratulations on your new toy!

Back