Gallery Picks for the week ending Monday 15th Nov

a few more...

Doug. An interesting juxtaposition between the old and the new. The buildings in this shot are clearly quite old and weathered an yet the entrance vestibules are freshened up with aluminum doors that don't really fit the era in which the buildings were constructed. On a diagonal, we have a nice contrast between the man conversing with motorcyclist and the laundry hung out to dry.
U77I1289268958.SEQ.0.jpg

Luigi (luiman). A nice study of geometry, perspective and scale.
08_11_10a.jpg

a touching shot by Harry Teasley of his wife and daughter visiting grandma/great grandma. the lighting and faces say all that need be said in this image.
L1020375.jpg

i haven't picked any of alex's before this, which is sort of a shame since there are so many good ones, but this is a wonderful picture. vertical lines, formal composition, proper exposure... and delicious bokeh. plus, the moment.
U3149I1289515415.SEQ.0.jpg

frank, from late today. it's funny but not kitschy, and it's a great moment. i'm sort of breaking my "boo hoo i don't like photos without people" rule, but maybe not really.
blowing_dresses.jpg

paulfish. in a lot of ways, i like this one better than the one that got a lot of play last week (which i liked as well). i think it's about the rhythm of the ripples in the front vs the organic in the background and the different directions of the dock. again, i'm breaking my boo hoo no people dictum. lol me.
R1-07644-008A.jpg

sara. there are flaws in this one if you want to nitpick, but to focus on them would be to ignore the beauty of the whole thing. it's a great moment, and it's captured in a way that transports you to a place. i think of a room in a classic hotel in london - the dorchester or maybe the savoy - and the creamy light reflected from walls of thick plaster. but i think of older times as well. really, i thought of the renaissance (as another tedwhite said in the photo's comments) or, as i noted, a boleyn girl.
U34459I1289801820.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
First ... thanks to those who mentioned my pics.

Now my last three:

Frank Petronio

U20258I1289769005.SEQ.0.jpg

petronius

Rollei_35_083_03.jpg

This pic by blindlemon is my favourite for the week. The child is very cute, granted ... but the pic has a slightlly surreal quality for me which places it out of the ordinary. The harsh lighting is part of it and her expression does the rest.

U30444I1289387244.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, porktaco, for the mention and the commentary.
It is a blessing to have available literally a couple of hundred fresh photos every week from which to learn ...

you're welcome paul, and i agree - it really is nice to have a consistently good and interesting stream of photographs to look at every day. i think it's helped me a lot.

also, i forgot my shoutouts to my peeps, yo. lol. thanks paul and rob.

some B&W

some B&W

I'll add some of my B&W preferred...

The first is not B&W (!) it is an extra but I like to consider it a modified B&W !
Bike and pedestrian by Jeicob
U32563I1289687553.SEQ.0.jpg

tbarker13 with a beautifull portrait in which I like the grey tones, the position of the model and her eyes
U6571I1289542708.SEQ.0.jpg

Steve Kessel with teenage kicks because of the simplicity of this shot, which gives a sense of joy from the young people
U12668I1289420896.SEQ.0.jpg

This one from Keith was soon bookmarked because let me smile !
U5265I1289391352.SEQ.0.jpg

And this other from Keith because of the dynamic composition: it is not easy to shoot (take photo) animals in a no conventional way
U5265I1289391347.SEQ.0.jpg

Petronius with one of his Rollei masterpiece. I like the sense of solitude in this image and how the tree stand out.
Rollei_35_082_17.jpg

There are many other pictures I like...
thanks to all people making this thread interesting
robert

Thank you "ourmanintangier" and "keith" for picking two of my pictures, especially as I though the standard was so high this week. I haven't picked out any myself, if I chose one I'd have to choose twenty.

Thanks to barnwulf, Robert and Poul for this weeks mentions

I think this is a clever composition of what looks like burger boxes. Nice tones and nice pattern. I love it!
Actually it's glass inserts in the floor of the entrance to a building. Usually these glass inserts provide a little daylight into the basement below, but here they let the light trough in the opposite direction.

The first is not B&W (!) it is an extra but I like to consider it a modified B&W !
I'm using the desaturated colors when I like something to look modern. I did the same to a couple of gallery shots made around the metro. This picture also looked somewhat flat in B&W compared to the 'modified' version.

It is a blessing to have available literally a couple of hundred fresh photos every week from which to learn ...
Unless you are in a bad mood!
All these pictures makes me realize just how little my own pictures adds to the world. Maybe I should stay with photographing friends and family?

Thanks to anyone who have spent time on my photographs and especially to those who also left a comment in a thread or in the gallery
- very much appreciated!

Excerpt from a few event sessions over the winter it's time for me to take a brake.
I have had my digital camera for a little over a year now and it's about time to get my digital darkroom configured and calibrated.
It would also be nice to redo the hole thing in the right sizes and formats before the winter ends.

thank you so much to the people who picked my shadow picture, it's totally improved a stinking day. very happy indeed.

so many terrific images this week, sending me back to gallery again now to see if there's anything i can add, thank you again.

p.s. keith and goat: awesome.

p.p.s. does anyone know if you can stitch two pictures together on the basic iphoto, to make a kind of diptych sort of a thing? i don't have any other software and i have these two scanned now but not sure if i can make it work. never got to grips with this sort of thing.

Last edited:
p.p.s. does anyone know if you can stitch two pictures together on the basic iphoto, to make a kind of diptych sort of a thing? i don't have any other software and i have these two scanned now but not sure if i can make it work. never got to grips with this sort of thing.

Hi, not sure about iPhoto, but here is a free open source project that claims to do just what you're after.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

ps. I haven't used it myself as photoshop does the same thing, but might just give it a go myself now that I googled it for you :)

Back