Garage Studio and Darkroom Remodel

Steve Ruddy

Established
Local time
1:56 AM
Hi All,

We have been using our garage for a studio darkroom and laundry since we moved in 18 years ago. My wife likes to tell the story that I let her park her car inside only for a few months after we moved in. We slowly developed it for a photo studio, and various other things like a workbench for restoration of vintage audio. We were constantly making improvements ending with reclaimed flooring from our house, carpet, black curtains to isolate areas like the laundry and workbench, and finally adding a darkroom section. I kept taking parts of the garage door off until finally ending up with just the door, which we screwed in place as a wall. We hadn’t opened it for years and the hardware was ugly and in the way.

We are approaching retirement, the house is paid off, and we don’t plan on moving, so we decided to make it an official legal space. Construction has started and should be complete by end of October/November. I thought it would be fun to post the plans and progress. Opinions and critique are certainly welcome so don’t be shy.

Here is a look at the floor plan. If you are interested in the project let me know and I will post a lot more info including, drawings, equipment, and progress.

13x19-Studio.jpg

Have you thought about a north skylight?

Yes we did consider skylights, and they would be facing north however the budget wouldn't allow it. In a few years we are planning on changing our roof from shingles to metal and we maybe able to afford it then. For now our daylight is limited to the the 10' Catina door that faces north west. It should be useful for window light photography, and it has a black out shade included. It was installed yesterday. I'll post photos later today or tomorrow. Oh and if we leave the door from the studio to the hall open we will get more daylight from a glass panel door on the back.

Back