Gear Value Anxiety?

Much as I loved my M3, I must admit I was always nervous that I'd drop it or lose it. I've had to give up shooting film, and now use on old, inexpensive and easily replaceable entry-level DSLR. I've stopped worrying about my camera and now concentrate on trying to make better pictures. (sigh of relief)

When I used a brand new M9 and a $2000 lens, I will admit to being a little anxious in certain neighborhoods. However, you're probably better off with that than a Nikon D4 and a 28-70mm zoom with regards to which camera more people will likely recognize as expensive. The worst I've had is have someone yell "how much is that camera worth?"

When I used a brand new M9 and a $2000 lens, I will admit to being a little in certain neighborhoods. However, you're probably better off with that than a Nikon D4 and a 28-70mm zoom with regards to which camera more people will likely recognize as expensive. The worst I've had is have someone yell "how much is that camera worth?"

I know exactly what you mean, one of reasons I started using inexpensive Barnacks was because I enjoyed wandering off the beaten track in third world countries. Assumed I get mugged for my gear at some point and didn't want the worry of losing something too valuable. Spoke with a local photographer a while back who lost an M Leica at knife point in Mexico, so it does happen.

Would you be comfortable walking alone through places like this with 20 grand worth of camera gear? How about at night....?
A little bit of paranoia is healthy! That's why this is shot with an X100, not an M9.

U5960I1421539323.SEQ.3.jpg

Gear anxiety grows from the same root as life anxiety. Considering that many regular posters to this forum are descending the far side of the mountain into the valley of the shadow, it's wise to remember that good kit will usually outlive the photographer, so why not use it with gusto and creative joy rather than in gratuitous fear? Nobody gets out alive. Take care your tools but use them--they're tools.

It's ok to be rational. Don't shoot Hasselblads on skateboards. Don't dress like Blingmeister flaunting your Ralph Gibson Nocti kit around [fill in dodgy city/culture here]. Use your wrist, neck, shoulder strap even when getting out of the car in your own driveway.

I like Glenn's thinkng above, except I'd be packing a GR because it disappears in my hand when I don't want it to attract attention.

First of all, I don't buy exorbitantly expensive gear. Nor do I drive a Ferrari.

Secondly, what am I afraid of? Someone trying to mug me? One of two things will happen, I'll either let them have my possessions, or if my hormones and heritage kick in, I may go down with guns blazing. Either way, I'll feel good about my reaction.

If you are worrying about cost of your equipment choices, that's telling you something is wrong with your choices.

Yup. Having an M9, plus at least one lens -- and probably two -- each valued (replacement, anyway) over $1,000, around my neck was too stressful. The worry made me hesitant to take it out as often and lessened my enjoyment. I traded on an X Pro 1 kit and felt much more in my comfort zone. I'll go Leica digital again someday. Someday.

A lot of good sense here. Inexpensive gear in obviously risky place is just good sense. I carry a digital Leica with me most days and most places in a working week. No bag or half case. One lens. Have I ever dropped a Leica camera in forty years? Just once, an M5 and C Sonnar from the height of the piano stool. Bent the hood, but otherwise no harm done. Someone else dropped my Monochrom and 50 Summicron onto a carpeted floor from table height. No harm done. Relax.

Just got back from a shoot in the gritty part of San Pedro. Had a Nikon F6, a Leica M and an assortment of Leica and Zeiss glass. No issues.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I also had Loki with me. A 150lb German Shepard/Huskie mix...
:)

I got my first Leica in 1968. In the intervening years I've had a camera hanging on my shoulder more days than not, all lthat time. I have never had one stolen and only dropped one once. If we let fear win, we would never do anything. Even if something bad happens tomorrow, I would still consider that I'd won, in the long run.

Like anything else if you are in an area where they will take your camera they are just as likely to want your phone, wallet, backpack, or anything else you are carrying.

Computers, iPhones/smart phones, other electronic gear and backpacks are the items that students and others around the University of Washington, especially in the evenings and nights, have taken by strong arm robbers and during break-ins. Not a bad neighborhood but does get targeted.

Need to be aware at all times of your surroundings, if a particular area or situation does not feel right then avoid it or leave if you don't feel right.

My nervousness with expensive gear is that I may inadvertently damage by dropping it or by falling down. Not so much of a worry when I was younger but time is moving on ........

Bought an M9 about two years ago and took it on a 90 day trip to Europe in 2014. After a 19 mile hike on the West Highland Way, I had a couple beers at the pub in the small isolated hotel we were in and left it at the bar. The next morning I almost had a coronary when I realized it was not in the room. Went down to lost and found and the lady at the desk kinda smiled and said " Kind of expensive camera isn't it?"

Later in the trip I left it on a table in a restaurant and when I came back to the table (my daughter was at the table when I left for the restroom) the camera was gone. Another coronary but she had taken it with her for her restroom call.

Well, the camera is worth less now but I sure prefer traveling with a film M worth about $1000 for the body, not $4500 or more. Of course, the digital M does many things the film M can't. Guess life always comes down to choices.

It wasn't just losing a camera by getting robbed that bothered me. Before retirement my work was in the field of oceanography and I often took a camera to sea. Having seen what moist salty air could do to equipment in a very short time my best gear stayed home. Photography is my hobby not a job, and rust never sleeps!

This photo was shot using my "beater" camera, a 3f with 3.5cm Summaron from the aft deck of NOAA ship Discoverer. On that trip we went from the equator to Alaska along 170E. Not all days were warm and sunny, some I wouldn't even take the "beater" out due to high winds blowing salt spray.

U5960I1450572158.SEQ.2.jpg

It wasn't just losing a camera by getting robbed that bothered me. Before retirement my work was in the field of oceanography and I often took a camera to sea. Having seen what moist salty air could do to equipment in a very short time my best gear stayed home. Photography is my hobby not a job, and rust never sleeps!

This photo was shot using my "beater" camera, a 3f with 3.5cm Summaron from the aft deck of NOAA ship Discoverer. On that trip we went from the equator to Alaska along 170E. Not all days were warm and sunny, some I wouldn't even take the "beater" out due to high winds blowing salt spray.

Cool shot Glenn! How come u didnt just get a Nikonos camera? I use them and they are excellent.

Everyday when I'm working I have 2 canon 1dx, 24mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2, 135mm 2, 300mm 2.8, m9 35mm summicron and INSURANCE!!!!!!!

The OPs question, "Are you inhibited from buying expensive yet affordable gear because of a sense of vulnerability or risk?" implied risk to his personal security, not environmental.

So I add one more rule to live by, to the three I first posted. If you are in an area where you feel at risk, you probably need to move on. A mugger is not going to look at your Nicca III-s and say "Let this one go Rocko, it's not a real Leica!" If a bad person sees a camera, watch, or pair of tennis shoes he's not going to stop because they aren't the top models. Likewise, most random thieves don't know what a good camera is anyway, they just see a target in their domain.

Not that any of this is very likely to happen. But the chances increase when you are in risky areas. People don't get mugged at the Westminster Dog Show. They get mugged late at night, outside of bars, concerts, and places where people drink or are naturally agitated. Or where people are extremely desperate. Yes, those places are photogenic.

Back