Other Areas Germany, origin of the basic idea

M

M like Leica M6

Hello, out there! Am I the only Kraut in this forum?

Welcome, M! You don't mind my calling you "M", right? It's a bit long to call you "M Like Leica M6". :)

If you mean you're the only German here... I think there are more, but I hardly pay much attention to where people live so I could be wrong.

Better not use terms like Kraut and such. See what happened on Photo.net in one of the earlier threads here. We like to keep things friendly.

I am a Kraut...

I am a Kraut...

and I can live with it...

RML said:
Welcome, M! You don't mind my calling you "M", right? It's a bit long to call you "M Like Leica M6". :)

If you mean you're the only German here... I think there are more, but I hardly pay much attention to where people live so I could be wrong.

Better not use terms like Kraut and such. See what happened on Photo.net in one of the earlier threads here. We like to keep things friendly.

Yeah, but what about the important question,

Can we call you M?

Welcome to the group,... um..., MlLM6.

No, that isn't going to work.

Just call me M.

M like Martini, shaken not stirred :)

Cooooool picture! I guess they were totally pissed with that Beck's beer...

M like Leica M6, I was born near Freiburg (Weil am Rheine) but have lived in Canada for the last 44 years.

We're a friendly and respectful bunch here. Are you shooting Leica?

M like Leica M6 said:
Cooooool picture! I guess they were totally pissed with that Beck's beer...

No, it takes Vodka to get her slightly drunk :).
Otherwise I'd been a bit concerned about that 16-35L :)

And Pherdinand, when we get back to temperatures supporting human live next year, there are two parties at a spa at the "Weser Stadion" which is the home of Werder Bremen. Lots of (photo)oportunities there.

FrankS said:
We're a friendly and respectful bunch here.

Seconded. M, you are welcome to join us, we have a lot of fun here. And we try to always have respect for each other, which keeps this a very wonderful place to visit.

I'm American - but like most Americans, my family is from somewhere else. My mom's side is German, dad's side is Irish. I spent some time a few years ago in Bochum. I truly enjoyed visiting and working in Germany. I didn't buy a camera while I was there, but I did buy a German wristwatch - a Muhle Glasshutte. It is my favorite watch!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

@RMl, I don't think anybody in germany has a problem with Kraut :)

Socke said:
@RMl, I don't think anybody in germany has a problem with Kraut :)

German-Americans tend not to think highly of the term. I'm 1/2 German from my mother, and I don't mind (I also don't mind being called a 'Mick') but I don't use the terms in public.

I am not one of your overly-sensitive types who faints at the sound of certain words, and ever buddy here knows I sure ain't very P.C. But I do think that some terms are best left in the past where they originated - in the interest of keeping RFF a wonderful and happy place to visit.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

FrankS said:
M like Leica M6, I was born near Freiburg (Weil am Rheine) but have lived in Canada for the last 44 years.
Hey, you were born just around the corner. I live in Grenzach-Wyhlen. The world is really a village :)

@FrankS: Hey, Weil is not far away. I am not from Baden, but from Hamburg and still try to get used to the funny accent :) Do you still understand words like "Moschdfeschd" or "alla gut"?
Yes, I do have a Leica M6, which is my second one. The first I used in the 80s when I was a news photographer in Hamburg. I own 4 lenses, 21, 35, 50, 75mm and take about 60% of my pictures with it. Besides that I own two EOS with lenses 17-35, 28-70, 70-200 and a Novoflex follow-focus lens dinosaur with 400 and 600 mm heads. At home there are also a Yashica Lynx and a Zeiss Ikon Contarex, a darkroom and thousands of pictures. I take photos since I am 14, today I am 41.

@Socke: I tend to ask you for her phone number :)

@bmattock: Well, Bochum is something like the worst case... next time have a look at the nice cities like Hamburg or Munich. You are lucky you did not buy a camera here: they are much more expensive in Germany than in the USA, nobody knows why... look at this: The Leica "passport guarantee" in the USA is much better than in germany: it covers everything except theft, as far as I know. But I also know that Leica limits this policy to US residents, god knows why... maybe because the rest of the world would buy an M7 for $ 2695 from Adorama instead of paying $ 4000 for an M7 in germany with a guarantee that covers much less. Okay, but a Glashütte watch is really, really expensive...

@bmattock:

Well, let me put it like this: my last name is Molinari. My family came from Italy in the 17th century. I know I have some relatives in the USA (an uncle moved to the USA in the 20s). Iwas born and lived in north germany for 38 years and moved south three years ago. So, I am a "Kraut with Spaghetti", and the people here in Karlsruhe call people from north Germany "Fishheads" because we come from the coast. Sounds like "la nouvelle cuisine" from France where they mix very uncommon things, doesnt it? I don't care so much for PC.... :)

Hello "M" & welcome,

When I came to Canada in 1950, from Europe, my family and I were called "DP's". At the time I thaught that it a derogatory term, however I have since learned that it stands for "Delayed Pioneer".

I am therefore proud of this title.

Bill K.

Do we even have to vote?

Socke is the official host of the first RFF International Photography Convention.

:)

rover said:
Do we even have to vote?

Socke is the official host of the first RFF International Photography Convention.

:)

Hm, I think I could arange something in summer.
But it could be hard for the US citizens! Lots of people from South America, Poland, Russia, Arabia and we drink and smoke in public places, too.
And most of my friends use digital SLRs to take pictures. To be true, I have one myself.

I think, I can not recomand Bremen to some of the participants of that nice Leica Forum :)

Back