Getting back into FSU --where to shop.

SCOTFORTHLAD

Slow learner,but keen!
Local time
9:49 PM
Hello ,
I have been absent from the site for quite a while now. Greetings to any of the old crowd still here,or more relevently,who might recall my previous scribblngs.
After taking in all the info' that I could, over not a few years about ,in particular, the FSU WORLD,I sort of drifted away.

I never left film, but spent the time trying out all that I could afford at the bottom end of the market-- from Trip 35 and Tamron zooms to TLR.
Now coming up to another UK summer and with some film to use, the RF bug has risenand I was speculating that someone currently in the know may be able to recommend a reliable source on Ebay for a nice Fed 2 or Zorki 4.
Thanks,
Brian

Oleg at OKVintageCamera is still there. He has moved to Slovakia but still does an amazing repair job and sells cameras he has serviced. Got a Leica IIIf back from him last week and it is as smooth as silk!

I can't help with the FSU gear (except to suggest that the Fed Micron looks better on a shelf than as a user), but it's good to see you back!

Oleg at OKVintageCamera is still there. He has moved to Slovakia but still does an amazing repair job and sells cameras he has serviced. Got a Leica IIIf back from him last week and it is as smooth as silk!
Many thanks--I had Oleg un my mind but assumed that with the politics today he was not available,but if he has moved to Slovakia that's a good update for me ,Cheers!!!

I would only buy from RFF user and only if camera been in use recently and results were normal.

But if you are into RF and not into crude machinery operations, get Barnack in same condition or Japanese version.

I would only buy from RFF user and only if camera been in use recently and results were normal.

But if you are into RF and not into crude machinery operations, get Barnack in same condition or Japanese version.
Good advice I know, but I suspect my resources andprobable use wouldn't stretch to those great cameras.

Good advice I know, but I suspect my resources andprobable use wouldn't stretch to those great cameras.
Take a look at this:

Much better than anything from the FSU and not that expensive.

Take a look at this:

Much better than anything from the FSU and not that expensive.
+2

The old Canons are gorgeous. I got mine from Ebay also and it just works and works.

Don't overlook the lesser-known Japanese brands..... Nicca, for example. They're often sold for cheap on Ebay after someone relieved them of the Nikkor lenses that they originally came with.

I would second the suggestion for a Japanese "barnack". I have a few and the Canon IIf and IVSB that I tend to use (instead of the 7s) just work flawlessly year over year. As nice as my Leica Barracks....better even than my IIIf's.

If it must be FSU, I have had best reliability with a Zorki-S. It even worked perfectly during an outing in Yellowstone area in -10 to -20F weather. It's been reliable other times as well. Now that I'm not shooting film very much I value those cameras that can sit in the cupboard for long periods and then work perfectly when I get around to pulling them out. The Canons do that with aplomb, so does my Zorki-S and Fed-3. Heck, probably some others too but I really like those Japanese barnacks.

Out of all of the Soviet cameras, my go-to would always be the FED 2. That thing is a tank - uncomplicated, reliable, and in its own way, beautiful.

Out of the Japanese ones, I'd stick with Nicca or Leotax. I really don't like Canon's combined VF/RF designs... to the point where I only use them with external viewfinders. They are smooth, though. I'll give 'em that.

Out of all of the Soviet cameras, my go-to would always be the FED 2. That thing is a tank - uncomplicated, reliable, and in its own way, beautiful.

Out of the Japanese ones, I'd stick with Nicca or Leotax. I really don't like Canon's combined VF/RF designs... to the point where I only use them with external viewfinders. They are smooth, though. I'll give 'em that.
FED-2 are the best! Not as ugly and crude to operate as Zorrki4 or 6. Long RF base, very contrasty RF patch.
But I ordered from Oleg twice and twice got with uneven exposures.

I quite like the Fed 3, knob wind version. Nice viewfinder, full range of shutter speeds. Yes the 2 has a longer RF base, but it is of no advantage when using a 50mm lens. A serviced Fed 3 should work smoothly, mine works with as much ease as the Leica IIIf that I have, but is in most respects a better camera than the Leica. The fit and finish is about equal to Japanese cameras of the same vintage.

I've had three Zorki 4 cameras, all three worked, excepting the self timer on the 4K that I had. These cameras, even in good condition operate rougher than the Feds, and they are not as ergonomic in use. The upside is they have a big, bright viewfinder. It is better to look for an older version, one with strap lugs and engraved shutter speeds.

With any of these cameras, buy from a seller who allows returns and refunds. Shoot a test roll as soon as you can, use as many shutter speeds as you can, check the accuracy of the RF, etc. And if it doesn't work send it back.

A Canon IV is also a good choice, although honestly, you're really not getting much more with one than you'd get from the above mentioned cameras. A Canon VL is bit better, more modern design and ergonomically acceptable, easy to find with a lens in the $200-300 price range.

I quite like the Fed 3, knob wind version. Nice viewfinder, full range of shutter speeds. Yes the 2 has a longer RF base, but it is of no advantage when using a 50mm lens.
I always think of the FED 2 as the Soviet equivalent to the M3; it's really optimised for longer lenses. I used to use mine with a Jupiter 9 or Jupiter 11 quite a lot.

Not only is the rangefinder baselength and increased rangefinder contrast working in your favour for the long focal lengths, you can't even mount a Jupiter 12 on most FED 2s as the RF cam follower is slightly too low and gets in the way.

Meanwhile, the FED 3 shortened the RF baselength, but also made it possible to mount the J12 without modification.

I should dust off that FED 2 again; it's been a while. I just wish mine had strap lugs!

I guess I'm old school as I like the Barnack look of the Zorki 1 and Fed 1 cameras. My Zorki is from Oleg and it is the best. I bought the Fed 1 I now use from a dealer in the Ukraine who claims to sell CLA's cameras only. Both of these Russian Barnacks work beautifully.

I also have a Fed 2, Kiev 4a, Vokshod, and even a Fotokor 1 that I have tried out but never shoot anymore.

I guess I'm old school as I like the Barnack look of the Zorki 1 and Fed 1 cameras. My Zorki is from Oleg and it is the best. I bought the Fed 1 I now use from a dealer in the Ukraine who claims to sell CLA's cameras only. Both of these Russian Barnacks work beautifully.
Minor point: only the Zorki is Russian. All* FEDs were made in Ukraine.

(*aside from when production moved to Russia during the war)

I actually prefer the traditional Barnack platform too; the combined VF/RF just makes them harder to focus for me while increasing the overall size, but it's hard to argue for rolling the dice with a FED or Zorki 1 that may have been butchered in its life (and where a single good CLA will be more expensive than the camera) where a Leica II is more likely to have been cherished, looked after, and well-serviced during the last eighty years.

I do like 'em, though. I still have a Zorki 1 on a shelf that sees occasional use when I want to use Soviet lenses and have accurate focusing. It's a fine camera.

Welcome back and the moment the Fed 2 was mentioned I remembered mine that is currently languishing in the cupboard with a broken shutter curtain. I loved that camera and still do ... it was my introduction to rangefinders. $45 dollars from Oleg from memory and it came in heavy brown paper tied with string. :)

I have a working Zorki 1e, and really enjoy using it.

Though part of me has stopped myself a few times from buying a Fed 3a, the knob wind version, as i think that one is one of the better looking FSU Rangefinders

Unfortunately my NKVD doesn't focus accurately with any of my I-22s, Fed-10, Fed-50. It would be fun to use it. Perhaps it's from the time when bodies were matched to their lens (or vice versa)?

Unfortunately my NKVD doesn't focus accurately with any of my I-22s, Fed-10, Fed-50. It would be fun to use it. Perhaps it's from the time when bodies were matched to their lens (or vice versa)?
Is the rangefinder calibrated correctly? If the RF agrees with the focusing scale of a lens that is known to be good at both infinity and 1m, then it's likely that the lens mount isn't standardised, and you'd need to adjust it. Changing the flange focal distance isn't necessarily easy, but it can be done - use some shims behind the lens mount if it's too short, remove some shims if there's too many, or grind down the back of the lens mount if you can't get it close enough to the film (although I wouldn't fancy doing that and trying to get it accurate).

But if the FFD is already correct and it's just the rangefinder that's out, it's really simple to get a FED or Zorki to focus correctly across the whole range with either the Soviet standard or the Leica one.

Thanks for all the comments and helpful thoughts,and for the welcome back.
I've since been in touch with Oleg, and also looked at the Canon suggestions with interest, both of which are in my ballpark range for expenditure.Are there any advice points on bottom film loading.As I don't home process now since E6 home kits went away,with the cost of film and lab processing messing up a film at the loading stage would be a concern.

In the meantime I realise that in my 'stuff' there is a long silent working Franka Frankarette RF with a Xenar lens which perhaps I should resurrect.

Back