UK Region getting kitted out

dkim

Local time
9:11 AM
Hey Everybody.

Long time reader/lurker but haven't posted a whole lot, which is mostly because I still don't own a rangefinder but hopefully that will change soon. :p

I've been trying to choose between getting a dSLR or a rangefinder and negative scanner and I think I've decided to go with film.

In the end I decided that a rangefinder would be better suited to the sort of photos I would like to explore and expand on, which are low light and candid people/street shots.

I've also decided to give the Bessa R (in chrome!) a try.

Now I just need to figure out where to buy it. Anybody have any recommendations/bad experiences they'd like to share with UK suppliers? I'm located just outside of Cambridge so it wouldn't be a problem to get into London. I'm fine with buying online but as I haven't held a Bessa R in my hands yet I'm a little hesitant to just jump in completely blind.

Alternatively, if there are any US suppliers you would recommend my parents live in the States and my wife is going to be visiting them in October. So if works out to be much cheaper then I suppose I could wait a few months for my new camera.

I've been considering Ffordes, Robert White, and Cameraquest but wondered if there were any other ones I should be looking into.

Also, how do you figure my luck would be at a camera fair? Anybody have any experience with the South London Photographic Fair or the fair in Newbury?

Thank a bunch,
Dave

Actually, I thought on Robert White's site it lists the Chrome R + 35/2.5 at £250, £15 cheaper than getting it all in black.

Other than colour, there's no difference between these, is there?

Good point about the repairs/distance thing. Plus the whole thing about waiting a few months longer before I get it.

Few months vs next day......

No difference in the color of cams or lenses with respect to performance Dave. CV lenses weigh the same silver or black. Some Leica lenses are heavier in silver because of their brass construction.

Back