Getting started in 4x5

I've got a speed graphic 4x5 with side rangefinder. I like the idea of having a body shutter as it will allow me to play with funky old lenses in barrel and process lenses with no shutter. I've got 2 4x5 enlargers: a Beseler and an omega D5XL. If anyone is getting into printing 4x5 in the Toronto/GTA area, send me a pm.

Lots of great advices here. I bought a Linhof Technika IV 4x5 that I got for a bargain price. The bellows were light-tight, the gears etc not worn out and the RF works. (Generally, no adapted cams for my lenses as of yet). I bought a Fujinon W 180/5.6 and later a Grandagon N 90/6.8, have two Grafmatic holder, and a couple of two-sheet film holder. This set-up including focus loupe, dark cloth, light meter, and cable release all fits in an old camera bag so I could take public transportation to go taking photos but I hardly do. Initially I brought the Linhof with me to some photo trips but every time I set it up onto the tripod so many people came asking me about that camera (living in Japan as a foreigner doesn`t make things easier) that I spent more time answering questions than taking photos.

However, hardly anything beats a Velvia slide in 5x4. :)

I just want to thank you all for the feedback. Most of my shooting will be outdoors landscape stuff mostly. Have a feeling I will enjoy LF very much. Going to research more and look foward to more feedback and advice. Will be processing my own film and most likely getting a scanner in the near future. Thanks again everyone.
Regards
Chris

Also consider a 5x7 wooden camera like an Ansco, Burke and James or Agfa. The cameras aren't that much bigger and heavier and pretty much the same better quality lenses will work on it too. The beauty of 5x7 is you can make some beautiful contact prints big enough to mat and frame. Holders and film are readily available too.

Overall 5x7 is my favorite format. I like prints this size. I platinum print and think 5x7's are more intimate and like viewing them up close. 8x10 contacts are beautiful as well but I like the 5x7 aspect ratio better. The downside of 5x7 is availability of good enlargers if you want to enlarge wet print. I had a Durst Laborator 5x7 floor model for years and it's huge. It's about 8 feet tall. The 8x10 version that ivd used takes a 10 foot ceiling. I sold my Durst a couple years ago anticipating selling my house and moving across the country to retire. I've not gotten my house sold yet and regret selling it. They are the finest enlargers I've evervised. 4x5 for enlarging is the easiest.

I have to second CNNY. 4x5 is now so cheap it is a question of what you want to do with the camera that should drive your choice.

4x5 runs from snapshot cameras to full movement studio monorails. I have a 1953 Pacemaker Crown Graphic press camera and a Toyo 45G monorail camera. With those two cameras I can do about anything that can be done with a 4x5 camera. The Graphic is the most "FUN" camera I own.

Although you probably will have to do some sorting out on whatever you get. My Graphic had been taken apart and put back together by a chimpanzee. The Toyo needed a new bellows and a replacement back standard. Both were sold as being in excellent condition. Both wound up costing about $500 with lens by the time I got them sorted out.

BTW, that chimp claimed to be a professional camera repair person. He damaged the rangefinder which was what he was supposed to fix, and unfixed the rest of the camera. Luckily the dealer I bought the camera from was paying him, not me; and I found a NOS Kalart Rangefinder guts in military packaging for not much money.

4x5 gear is getting so cheap now that you might as well start out with the thing you want to end up with. Figure out what kind of use you are going to put it to, and choose accordingly.
Choose a monorail if perspectival movements are important, but weight and bulk are not a problem. Choose a wood field if weight is an issue. Choose a press camera if you want rangefinder focusing. Get a Linhof Technika if you want it all.
I started out doing open tray developing. Then I modified a Jobo print drum to hold 4x5 sheets. Now I have a Jobo designed for the purpose. I roll the drums in my bath tub to agitate.
4x5 is easy, and fun, requires a little patience, but can be rewarding.

For work in the field you might want to try a ... field camera! :D

One of the most plentiful is the Toyo 45 series. I can't speak for the CF (carbon fibre) model but those are more expensive anyway. The 45A and 45A-II can be had for relatively little money, though more than a Graphic or Graflex type. But the cast aluminum construction is very good and rugged. I never had to make any adjustments or repairs, so over time the cost of ownership was insignificant.

The only reason I sold mine was the weight - at 2KG, plus the weight of a Zone VI wooden tripod and Gitzo head, it became too much for me when I got older. So I got a Chamonix 45-NII and carbon fibre tripod. I cut my weight by more than half. Truthfully in some ways I liked the Toyo 45 better, but don't regret the change at all. I use Fujinon lenses. I primarily use the 150/5.6; my 90/8 doesn't get much use, so I will be selling it.

Just to update, bought a Toya 45D w/schnieder 210mm and Copal #1 shutter and I just got a Schnieder Angulon 90mm w/compur shutter. Shot around 30 sheets so far and got the tray processing down pretty good. Just need to get more better with the camera with all the adjustments, tilt, swing, lift etc....but enjoying LF very much and the image quality when printing, wow.

Regards
Chris

I have a Toyo 45A which is upgraded to AII specs.
I sometimes use a Toyo sliding back with 6x9 MAmiya back.
I also use it with a reflex viewing hood for 4x5.

I also use a stripped down Crown Graphic, and a B+J Grover.
I like them all !

The biggest restriction is bellows length. You can not fix it later. Normal lens is 150 mm or 6 inches. So you need 12" bellows to get to 1:1. 12" lens needs 24" bellows.

When bellows are compressed for wides, little movement is possible. Use a bag bellows.

I have a Calumet monorail 16" bellows. PM me if interested and you live in USA. It will be cheap.

Also consider a 5x7 wooden camera like an Ansco, Burke and James or Agfa. The cameras aren't that much bigger and heavier and pretty much the same better quality lenses will work on it too. The beauty of 5x7 is you can make some beautiful contact prints big enough to mat and frame. Holders and film are readily available too.

Overall 5x7 is my favorite format. I like prints this size. I platinum print and think 5x7's are more intimate and like viewing them up close. 8x10 contacts are beautiful as well but I like the 5x7 aspect ratio better. The downside of 5x7 is availability of good enlargers if you want to enlarge wet print. I had a Durst Laborator 5x7 floor model for years and it's huge. It's about 8 feet tall. The 8x10 version that ivd used takes a 10 foot ceiling. I sold my Durst a couple years ago anticipating selling my house and moving across the country to retire. I've not gotten my house sold yet and regret selling it. They are the finest enlargers I've evervised. 4x5 for enlarging is the easiest.

+ 1 Love 5x7 (for us Europeans 13x18) Lovely contacts!
With the V700 and now V800 and V850, you can perfectly scan these big negs and you don't need an enlarger.

If you come from 35mm the step to LF might be too big. Take a pause and first try MF - much cheaper and easier....

Personal opinion only, but I would skip medium format and got straight to large format. With MF it's still roll film unless you're using sheet film smaller than 4x5 - then what's the point.

Aside from size the point of LF is, to great extent, the advantage of individual exposures and processing.

I agree that 5x7 is a sweet spot. But since I can't shoot it, I take it as a challenge to make 4x5 contact prints that work well as finished works.

Back