GFX 50R + Lightroom 6

shawn

Mentor
Local time
12:15 AM
Not sure it matters for anyone else here but if you are running Lightroom 6 it doesn't support the GFX 50R raw files. However, there are several options to get Lightroom to accept them.

The first is to use Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RAF files to DNGs. Lightroom will open this fine but you lose Fuji profiles in the developer.

The second is to use Exiftool to change the camera model name to "GFX 50S" and then Lightroom will open the files just fine as that is supported in LR6.

On my Mac I made an Automator script that I just drop the SD card on it and it will recursively go through all the directories looking for any image files with "GFX 50R" and will then change them to "GFX 50S."

The camera will show up as a GFX 50S in lightoom but that doesn't really matter much to me.

How to duplicate it Automator....

51318409397_6f7602ac38_b.jpg

Shawn

I trash-binned LR 6.14 when I upgraded to macOS Big Sur. While I could get it to run, it had too many problems and was too broken in too many parts.

Although I hate paying monthly, I have LR Classic v10.3 running now. It supports all the recent cameras directly. But I'll uninstall it soon ... I'm finding that the supplied Apple Photos app used with Gentlemen Coders' RAW Power is not only a better image processor but there are excellent, low cost versions for iPhone and iPad as well. Same for Affinity Photo.

The delay is purely because it takes time for me to recreate my LR printing templates and workflow in any other app. The templated printing facility is the signal excellent feature that has kept me using LR for so long since Adobe's decision to eliminate the perpetual license version of the app.

G

Godfrey,

DxO Photolab Pro.

I use 3.0 but there's a 4.0 already. It outdoes LR in nearly every aspect and no stinkin subscription either.

Not sure what it does with the Fujifilm files though, to get back on topic.

Dxo photolab 4 does great with the Fuji. Still need LR for panoramic stitching and NLP.

Shawn

I use a 100% reversal profile to convert negatives to positives, and use the white point tool to select something I know to be white in any image from the roll: hey presto I'm 95% there. The rest is easily achieved with hand tweaking.
No NLP needed at all.

And panoramic stitching I do in an old version of Photoshop CS3

Sure can do it in multiple tools but stitching in LR works better imo (better lens correction, exposure blending and less errors compared to gigapan) while keeping it all DNG for NLP to do its thing. Quicker and easier to do it all in LR. And since I’m still on LR6 no recurring fees.

Shawn

Godfrey,

DxO Photolab Pro.

I use 3.0 but there's a 4.0 already. It outdoes LR in nearly every aspect and no stinkin subscription either.

Not sure what it does with the Fujifilm files though, to get back on topic.

I tested DxO Photolab an eon ago and disliked the user interface quite a lot. Haven't looked at it in the meanwhile, but perhaps I will.

The first version of RAW Power was rather clumsy too, but the current version seems quite useable to me and produces excellent results with no "AI" (that is: "who can tell what the heck it's doing or how I'd reproduce it when the software kicks") trickery. ;)

G

I tested DxO Photolab an eon ago and disliked the user interface quite a lot. Haven't looked at it in the meanwhile, but perhaps I will.

The first version of RAW Power was rather clumsy too, but the current version seems quite useable to me and produces excellent results with no "AI" (that is: "who can tell what the heck it's doing or how I'd reproduce it when the software kicks") trickery. ;)

G

Yeah, the interface is kind of convoluted (but adjustable), it has some great processing in it. Esp. if you have the rest of the DXO plug ins (Film Pack, Nik and Viewpoint). DXOs noise reduction is the best I have used and Clear View can be very good if not overdone. They added cataloging functions fairly recently but I haven't used that.

Shawn

Additional update to the Lightroom trick above... make another APP from Automator and switch the 'GFX 50S' to 'GFX 50R' (and vice versa) and put the app in Lightrooms Export Actions Folder. In the Export dialog set the Post Processing to the app you just created and if you ever export any "GFX 50S" files it will automatically convert it back to GFX 50R. If you export something else it leaves them along.

Shawn

Yeah, the interface is kind of convoluted (but adjustable), it has some great processing in it. Esp. if you have the rest of the DXO plug ins (Film Pack, Nik and Viewpoint). DXOs noise reduction is the best I have used and Clear View can be very good if not overdone. They added cataloging functions fairly recently but I haven't used that.

Shawn

I've never used any of that stuff. I do all my own rendering work using basic tools, I find it much easier. I also strive for correct exposure and generally do very little to no noise reduction.

With the CFVII 50c sensor, the dynamic range is so enormous that there's simply no excuse for not getting a good exposure. :D

G

Additional update to the Lightroom trick above... make another APP from Automator and switch the 'GFX 50S' to 'GFX 50R' (and vice versa) and put the app in Lightrooms Export Actions Folder. In the Export dialog set the Post Processing to the app you just created and if you ever export any "GFX 50S" files it will automatically convert it back to GFX 50R. If you export something else it leaves them along.

Shawn

Just another update to this... after that exiftool line add a second line that is just:
cd

That way it won't throw an error window at you if you export something from lighttoom that isn't from GFX 50S.

Shawn

Back