GH5 raw files.

Frankd

Established
Local time
12:03 PM
I am renting a Lumix GH5 in a few weeks but may reconsider if my software, Capture One v8.4 cannot read them.

I wonder is someone can help me to determine if my software will read GH5 raw files. Can someone email me a raw file? I know they are rather large but it would help out a lot and make a final determination.

Hi Frank
I use it for video.
I could make a photo for you, but I am afraid that I will get a file too large error from my horrible Italian provider.
On the other hand I have Capture 10 and you made me curious to try.

The camera itself can process RAW to generate a JPEG (I guess the same JPEG that you obtain setting the camera to JPEG+RAW)

The manual recommends the software SILKYPIX to develop a RAW

BTW how can I get your email address?

Cheers
Paolo

I am renting a Lumix GH5 in a few weeks but may reconsider if my software, Capture One v8.4 cannot read them.

I don't know whether there's any specific data in the GH5's Raw files that is only available directly from those (.RW2) files, but if not, then why not download Adobe DNG converter? The GH5 is supported, and AFAIK, capture1 will open DNG files. It's also free!

Might be worth a look. :)

Thank you Tbhv55, Pistach, and Darthfeeble.

The DNG converter was a good idea. However, my real problem is that I have an older Mac OS. Otherwise I could get the latest version of Capture One and that would probably work for GH5 files. Adobe DNG converter won't work for the same reason. Probably a raw file would need to be sent via Dropbox or Google Drive.

I lied about the Fuji files. Actually I was premature, they showed on the program until it created previews and then the files were corrupted.

Yes, Darthfeeble, it can be frustrating. Sometimes things appear to be working. I have found at times with C1 it will display a file but won't allow you to do any modifications to it. It does not work on Greyscale files. Maybe the next C1 upgrade will handle the XE3 files. I can't believe that they won't since this is a popular camera. All part of the software/hardware run around!

I tried the trial of version 11 and it seems to work fine but I'm not paying again just to update a camera. They won't update the version I have and Lightroom seems to have the RAF files under control so phoey on C1.

The DNG converter was a good idea. However, my real problem is that I have an older Mac OS. Otherwise I could get the latest version of Capture One and that would probably work for GH5 files. Adobe DNG converter won't work for the same reason.

Another thought: you could download Rawtherapee (free), use it simply as a raw converter (to produce a TIF file), and then edit as usual in capture1.

Hi Frank,
I verified that C1 10 opens the raw file.
The file is 23,6 megabytes. I think it is not possible to send it by mail
I also verified that Raw Therapy can open the file

Frank,
I replied to your message from within RFF
I am not sure my reply arrived to you, since I am not being using this communication channel for a long while.
Let me know by a post if it arrived to you.

Thanks tbhv55. Looks like Rawtherapee might work. It seems to take GH4 raw files. I just need to figure out how it all works! It is very different from Photoshop or Capture 1.

Thanks tbhv55. Looks like Rawtherapee might work. It seems to take GH4 raw files. I just need to figure out how it all works! It is very different from Photoshop or Capture 1.

I wouldn't get too mixed up in using Rawtherapee for processing (unless, of course, you want to :)) since it is quite a steep learning curve. It's worth stating that I find it to be an excellent processing program (very powerful), but it must be said that it can also be little quirky, mainly in the UI.

If you prefer to keep it simple, Rawtherapee can convert the Raw files straight to TIF without doing any processing at all - leaving you to do the editing in capture1, as you would normally do.

Hi tbhv55
C1 10 does.
And Frank asked me to check.
I looked at the test photo opened by Rawt and C1 10 and I liked better the second.
I can be mistaken of course

tbhv55,
it is me that should apologize.
The request came by message. I forgot to specify that
Best regards
Paolo

Back