giving up...

It would be easier to do if all I only shot 35 mm color film. However, I like the look of 35mm B/W when it is printed with an optical enlarger on photographic paper. Better yet - I like shooting with a 6x9 medium format in B/W that uses a classic Tessar or Heliar - which compared to my digital output offers a unique photographic look.

That said - I do have a two roll film back log on developing and printing.

Andrew, when I first went digital, I thought the one thing I would miss the most was my darkroom and being able to make my own prints. I had been doing that for 30 years. When I sat down at a computer and saw what I could achieve with a digital file, I found out that I did not miss film at all.

I convert almost everything I shoot to B&W (I shot mostly B&W in my film days) and I now use a high-end Canon printer exclusively for B&W printing. The prints do look different from silver based wet prints- not necessarily better or worse, just different.

The one thing I do miss from my film days are the actual cameras. I miss the simplicity of my rangefinders, but digital cameras are making great strides in that regard- slowly but surely.

Anyway, I can never see myself going back to film. For what I shoot, digital makes so much more sense.:cool:

Since digital is "free" we tend to shoot multiple frames of the same subject, which just leads to endless hours squinting in front of the monitor trying to figure out if the subtle differences make on file better than the next.
After six months you'll be back to film. :)

The R-D1 is a great solution to this problem.

Keep one film camera for B&W! You'll miss it.

You will be back to film.....unless you have always been a computer person in which case you will probebly love Disco....oh I mean Digital.

Ray

This may well be a rhetorical question, but why does it need to be one or the other? I rather enjoy both film and digital processes.

Tom, when I purchased my first digital camera, that is exactly what I did. I used the digital camera for my work and I shot film for my personal stuff. In the end, it finally just made sense to settle on one medium, cost wise. So, I sold every bit of my film equipment, all my darkroom equipment, and that is how I financed my complete conversion to digital.

after all these years... I'm gonna go digital.. I spend so much time processing and scanning negatives. it's just taking too much time. Oh well, someone will be gettng some cameras. Tomorrow I will post with pictures my Bessa R, Nikon Fe M2 (needs repair) and a couple of lenses. Just wanted to let people know. Rob;)

Now this is funny...:p :p

Trading a little bit of processing and scanning for a lot of post processing of multiple images which will take far longer...:eek: :eek: :eek:

You will be back to film.....unless you have always been a computer person in which case you will probebly love Disco....oh I mean Digital.

Ray

I have a friend that did exactly that. Sold all his film gear, went digital, and within a year, he sold all of his digital gear and went back to film.:confused:

Since I went completely digital, I have never once missed using film. As I stated before, I missed film cameras, but I did not miss shooting film, if that makes any sense. :)

I went from film to digital and back to film...but still shoot some digital.

I do not experience the massive overload of digital files, mostly I think because of my film habits.
I just don't shoot the quantity of digital that I did when digital first became available. It is possible to shoot deliberately, even with digital.

With film I can visualize the shot before i press the shutter.

With digital i can only visualize the post-processing

film is more satisfying, digital is boring - shooting digital is like work, shooting film is a creative process.

In an ideal world I would only be shooting film but its not an ideal world.

ranger: You've made the decision that is right for you. I look forward to seeing your photos in the future, whatever the technology you use.

film is more satisfying, digital is boring - shooting digital is like work, shooting film is a creative process.

In an ideal world I would only be shooting film but its not an ideal world.

I could not disagree more. I shoot pretty much the same way as I did with film. It is just a different camera and a different medium. Other than that, not a whole lot has changed in the way I shoot or visualize a shot. To tell you the truth, I never really give much thought about post processing until I sit down in front of the computer.

It looks like we can all agree to totally disagree. That must be why there are so many different cameras in the world.

/T

Hang on to the film gear and shoot film when you want a break from looking at a computer screen...
Have fun shooting whatever type of gear you use...

Sam's got it right.

I HAVE to have a digital camera for those things that I can't do without it (eBay, posting here, etc.). It is pretty dusty, though! :>)

Gotta get back to the darkroom now...this monitor's giving me a headache.

i like both.

i am currently playing with my sony a300 and a bunch of older minolta af lenses and it's a hoot. i have had some of my best feedback from some of these digital shots, go figure!

i plan on keeping all my rf gear and would love to add an rd1 to the kit so i could use my zm lenses on it.

i shoot digital like i shoot film, looking through the viewfinder, economical shooting, no blasting away and photoshop like i would a scanned neg.

i like the instant satisfaction at being able to process a few shots at a time and not having to wait till i finish a roll of film.

i like both.

Good joke! Tell me the difference between the rangefinders of an M7 and M8. We all use the same technical instrument that helps us visualizing the shot before we press the shutter.

Good joke! Tell me the difference between the rangefinders of an M7 and M8. We all use the same technical instrument that helps us visualizing the shot before we press the shutter.

I visualize the shot before i look through the viewfinder.

I intend to buy a Nikon FF next year. It simply happens that, for SLR use, I'd like to have one and spare myself the task of scanning. I don't know what will happen to my film SLRs but I don't intend to part with them. My RF gear is another story: that stays, definitely, no matter what.

Good luck with your digital experience! I want to be updated too! And post your photos! :)

That is not a problem with digital, it is your anti-digital prejudice. Why don't you visualize all the chemicals and processing when you use film?

To the OP, good journey, trying new things out is what kept our creative juice flowing ;)

That said, I came from digital and found my way into film. Learned the good habit of not using the machine-gun approach, and I now find film as a very relaxing outlet for my stress and creativity.

Disco? Ray? now that's funny :D :D

Back