Gluing accessories?

BigSteveG

Well-known
Local time
9:55 AM
Has anyone ever used a glue like Loctite blue on the threads of a soft shutter button? I lost one shutter button due to it becoming unscrewed during one of my frequent periods of inattention. I am ambivalent about using glue on the shutter button. Anyone ever try it? Any alternative techniques?

Are you talking about a soft button release (also called a softy) screwed into the camera shutter button thread? If so, do you want to keep it in semi-permanently?

I have never done it, but would probably avoid using a thread-locker like Loctite blue (242) as it may be a bit overkill for the thread-size application. Also, as you unscrew it, the hardened solvent breaks up as a bluish-white powder - and small hardened particles - and it might get into places you don’t want. And also, you may break the threaded shaft of the softy (depending on its metal quality) while trying to overcome the breaking force of the thread-locker - leaving it stuck in the shutter button.

If you must, Loctite 222 is a less aggressive thread-locker and may be more appropos for this situation. It’s also good for eye-glass screws as is clear nail polish.

I also used to use a product called “Vibta-Tite” and it makes the removal of a threaded application more serviceable. This may be a better choice. I like the glass bottle w/brush applicator, but the little tube should be way more than enough for many applications.

I have used this stuff - and other adhesives - building medical devices (cardio/angio X-Ray Cath labs) for over a decade in my younger days.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Are you talking about a soft button release (also called a softy) screwed into the camera shutter button thread? If so, do you want to keep it in semi-permanently?

I have never done it, but would probably avoid using a thread-locker like Loctite blue (242) as it may be a bit overkill for the thread-size application. Also, as you unscrew it, the hardened solvent breaks up as a bluish-white powder - and small hardened particles - and it might get into places you don’t want. And also, you may break the threaded shaft of the softy (depending on its metal quality) while trying to overcome the breaking force of the thread-locker - leaving it stuck in the shutter button.

If you must, Loctite 222 is a less aggressive thread-locker and may be more appropos for this situation. It’s also good for eye-glass screws as is clear nail polish.

I also used to use a product called “Vibta-Tite” and it makes the removal of a threaded application more serviceable. This may be a better choice. I like the glass bottle w/brush applicator, but the little tube should be way more than enough for many applications.

I have used this stuff - and other adhesives - building medical devices (cardio/angio X-Ray Cath labs) for over a decade in my younger days.

Good luck.
Thanks! Although I've had good results using Loctite Blue on cameras over the years, I really like the idea of a non-drying compound which allows for adjustments w/o the need for reapplication.

I use tiny rubber O-rings around the soft release button's treads. Works great. Some soft release buttons come with the O-ring. Otherwise, you can find them on Amazon.

I've used Nexcare skin crack repair for years. Doesn't really work all that well on skin cracks but is dandy for keeping soft releases on the camera and isn't too hard to break loose.

I used a small bit of Teflon plumbers tape around the threads of a soft release. Seemed to work holding it in place.
Very good idea-teflon tape. i did it also but adjusted this way unprecise 3d-printed thread of Custom Camera Building Pinhole-lens/adapter with plate added to be used in whatever metallic thread here M22-adapters for copal 0 or 1 or compur/seiko equiv. or 18° cosmos circle pinhole-shutter. he makes most genious cameras and rotashift 28mm pinhole lens with whateve thread needed. P67, HBV, M65. P67 here also normal P67-pinholelens. also possible to mount RSS-plated 18mm old brass used.

Back