Goggled 35 Summilux--Red Star?

rulnacco

Well-known
Local time
4:26 PM
My favourite local dealer just took delivery of a very nice specimen of this lens. It has one odd feature neither of us had seen before--just to the right of the focus distance scale, there is an inscribed red star.

He said he had read something about the meaning of this before, but couldn't recall the significance of it. Interestingly, he has a non-goggled version of the lens which differs by less than 300 in serial number, but lacks the red star.

As we're both wondering about it, can anyone provide some insight as to what is the purpose/meaning of the red star on this one?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 12
Which dealer? Always interested in London dealer recommendations.

I'm afraid I don't have any idea about the star. Before looking at the photo I thought it might be one of the asterisks denoting a duplicate serial number. I have an early non-google version of the lens which has similar feet and metre markings but definitely no star!

Best,

Simon

Hi, Simon! Yes, we both knew about the asterisk for duplicate SNs. It's the location and size of the star that have got us mystified.

My local shop is High Street Radio and Photographic in Croydon. Their website is here: www.croydonphotocentre.co.uk.

It's definitely worth the visit (they're open Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays until 5), if for no other reason than to chat with Reg Roach, the eminent proprietor--he's 82 and still going strong, has been selling Leica gear there for over 50 years. It's one of those magical--and, sadly, disappearing--London establishments, a family-owned camera shop for hardcore analogue nuts. It's a tiny little place and he doesn't have a massive selection of stuff, but what he has in stock is always interesting. And he's got drawers and drawers full of those little things that you always need, but have no idea where to find.

I (and several other like-minded people) hang out there regularly, even when I'm not looking to buy something. Pop in for an hour's conversation, and one of the old fellas in the back will very likely fix you a cup of tea--you'll definitely enjoy your trek down to Croydon.

Cheers!

My favourite local dealer just took delivery of a very nice specimen of this lens. It has one odd feature neither of us had seen before--just to the right of the focus distance scale, there is an inscribed red star.

He said he had read something about the meaning of this before, but couldn't recall the significance of it. Interestingly, he has a non-goggled version of the lens which differs by less than 300 in serial number, but lacks the red star.

As we're both wondering about it, can anyone provide some insight as to what is the purpose/meaning of the red star on this one?

MADE IN USSR

Errrr, don't think so. This is clearly an authentic Leica lens--we're both pretty expert at identifying one, lol--and it's, as you can see, plainly marked made in Canada.

Nice try, not helpful.

Hey, all. I just wanted to bump this thread, because I never got an answer to it--and can't find anything on the internet about it. I was looking nostalgically through my posting history (inspired by the "Who Rememers RFF When It Started?" thread), and ran across this, and found I was still curious about the meaning of the red star on this lens. Which I have never seen on any other Leica lens.

Nostalgia. Man, this post was 10 years ago almost--and Reg Roach, the proprietor of High Street Radio, a paradise for 60 years for aficionados of Leica and other quality film gear (and of traditional old pop & son specialty stores which were a repository of knowledge, great service, and pleasant hours of conversation) had just recently taken in this lens. Sadly, neither Reg, who passed away earlier this year just short of his 91st birthday (he was still manning the shop until right up to the end) nor High Street Radio are around anymore, although Reg's son has taken what remains of the business online.

Would love to see if anyone, at long last, does know what the mysterious star signifies.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

I wonder what the serial number is? Could it be an early prototype run (perhaps made to a mil-spec) thus marked with the red star.? Maybe not destined for production release?

Has anyone written to Leica about it?

Very interesting.

I wonder what the serial number is? Could it be an early prototype run (perhaps made to a mil-spec) thus marked with the red star.? Maybe not destined for production release?

Has anyone written to Leica about it?

Too funny; after posting the above, I found @rulnacco's thread at LUF and members proferring the same questions I did back in 2013:
Goggled 35 Summilux--Red Star?

Last edited:
Ha! I'd forgotten I'd posted it there, too. It seemed it was basically a steel-rim Summilux with goggles, its only oddity that red star. It further flummoxed us because he had a non-goggled version of the lens that had a serial number less than 300 higher than this lens, which lacked the star. So for a while there we were really trying to figure out what was the meaning and purpose of the star--which clearly was engraved and filled with paint at the factory. The answer to the mystery is still proving elusive!

One could surmise it might have been for the military, but that's unlikely because there should be more like it around. Since it came from the Canada factory it could be a special order of some sort. The star could mean it was for astronomical use, so it would have special cold weather lubrication. I have nothing concrete to go on as I've never seen this in any of the literature on special lenses.

PF

Back