Going fully digital.

I consider this minimalist approach more of an experiment than anything else, and it should be considered and evaluated as such. There's no question about the fact that human beings are very good at filling our homes with crap we don't really need. This is a modern approach to the old Hindu philosophy, all you need to own in life is five things (originator clearly never lived in the arctics, you'll quickly freeze to death wearing only a sheet :D ).

On the other hand, it's good to see that (young) people actually do such things as this. It will never become mainstream, but the point is age old - the things own us. I find many of the comments in this thread a bit judgemental. IMHO there's nothing wrong in attempting to organize your life in a new way, to think differently. It may not suit you, but for the individuals doing this it probably makes just what him/her really need much more obvious and apparent in the long run. Perhaps a good exercise for expanding one's self-realism and understanding? The resulting knowledge will be different things for different people I'm sure, but I think one thing in particular sticks out. Having a place to live.

For most of us, having a permanent place to live in the long run is completely essential. One thing is the roof over one's head, more important perhaps is what results from this seemingly simple principle - security and surplus. Not necessarily in the locked-doors-safe-from-harm kind of way, but psychologically speaking knowing we live in a fast and ever changing world that many struggle to keep up with. With many of the classic pillars in existence gone or weakened, family, long-term financial security and so forth, the safety and soothing effect of having a home (at least before the bank takes it) is what keeps one going. At least I know that not having a home scares the...out of me, it's essential to my well-being and having that part of my life in place makes its possible to focus on other, just as important things - work, family, food (and photography).

Mac

Do our possessions own us, or define us? And perhaps these people are letting their own lack of possession own/define them in the same way that possessions do?

Back