Canada going to Montreal... any suggestions?

mooge

Well-known
Local time
3:37 PM
hey,

I'm headed out to Montreal in a week or so with a bunch of my friends. We're all sort of clueless as to where to go; we'll probably visit Old Montreal, Chinatown and maybe the Biodome, but other than that we don't have many ideas.

Do any of you have suggestions for places / things / restaurants to visit / go to that are close(ish) to downtown?

thanks in advance.

I dont go very often, but when I do, http://www.vascodagama.ca is a definite stop for breakfast.. Typical Portuguese pastries, coffee, very good stuff...

http://www.ferreiracafe.com is also a very good Portuguese restaurant, but pretty expensive, depends on what your looking for...

Most of my friends here in NJ are Portuguese, so I always end up at these places, and our trips usually consist of eating and drinking....:rolleyes:

Yeah haven't lived here too long, but i find Chinatown and the old city kinda lame - sort of tourist traps... Downtown is ok, I prefer the Plateau and the Mile End... more city character there, and good bars, cafes, restos and live music. Check out the special at Wilenski in the Mile End - a staple of the neighborhood, and Schwarts' on St. Laurent. The biodome is pretty cool, as is the Habitat 67 - worth crossing the pont de la concorde from st helen island on a nice day. Park Mont Royal is nice on a sunny sunday - tons of people hanging there, random music and hippies. I like the cafes in Little Italy, but hey - I'm biased.

Probably a local can give better suggestions!

what exactly do you want to do and how long are you here? I dont think chinatown is really an exciting visit....

my wife and i travel there a couple times a year. for photography the old city is very nice, though it is a little touristy. however the Hunting and Fishing club is a great restaurant for lunch (outside above a lovely courtyard) or dinner in a location across the street, or both!

also the area around la fontaine parc is lovely to walk around, Au Pied de Cochon is a first class retaurant around there, but you should make reservations NOW. rue st denis is a good place to stroll for food.

if you like outdoor markets Jean Talon is a fabulous one we always visit before we leave to stock up on goodies like homemade rillette, fios gras, etc etc. also a great place for photos.

mt royale is also worth a trip to the top, around mcgill university. it was designed by the same fellow who did central park. there are even some really nice huge private homes there to photograph and some interesting vistas.

if i think of anything else i'll let you know. its a great city for walking and food. i suggest looking up the travel channel on the internet as bourdain, zimmerman etc have all been there and listed tips. i dont know if you all like cigars but theres a great cigar bar, i think cleverly called Stogies on Crescent Street that has cubans for pretty reasonable prices, top flight 'spirits' and friendly atmosphere.

have fun!
tony

Schwartz's Deli on Saint-Laurent is an absolute must. They have the best smoked meat in town. Many celebrities stop there. You should also stroll through Parc Lafontaine and Parc Mont Royal, especially if it is a sunny day -- lots of photo opportunities.

I love all of Montreal. I find it interesting (like most cities) where ever I end up. I would recommend Swartz's Deli for smoked meat, unless you're vegetarian, on St Laurent (3895).
I go to Creperie Chez Suzette on St Paul in the old city, Mount Royal, the Basilica, St Denis, St Catherine.... etc

I live here too and I find that Chinatown and the old port are tourist traps, nice to see but don't spend much time there (Chinatown is very small anyway).
I would suggest downtown, the plateau and Mile End neighborhoods are my personal favorites

Suggestions:
- the area around Bonaventure and Square Victoria metro are the heart of downtown, very north American type buildings, large avenues, busy people
- St Denis, St Laurent, St Viateur, Laurier and the area otherwise known as Plateau/ME for some city character, more French around plateau, more mixed near ME
- Maybe a visit to some markets if that interests you, Jean Talon and Atwater are very nice (depending on weather of course)
- Mont Royal park is a nice visit too, the underground near McGill metro is worth a try (lots of shopping)
- The canals near Lachine are nice in the summer

Don't miss out on the cafes, bakeries and other eateries in the area, the abound, the food is cheap and very good.

You might see me walking around the area with a Leica and a 35mm :)

As much as the Old Port is a "tourist" area I still adore it. I would concur regarding Schwartz's. The Downtown is interesting and The Plateau is kinda cool - overall, I find the city probably the most "beautiful" in all of Canada. Vancouver used to hold that position in my heart but due to condo development it has sort of lost the top spot to Montreal.

Dave

Back