Good Article Comparing Aperture and Lightroom

Indeed. but from 2013. So ancient history, alas. I noted nobody bothered to comment on the article when it was first published. Hm.

As an ex-user of Aperture (but never into Lightroom, as like so many others I'm allergic to mortgaging my bank account to a software monopoly seller for life), I found this article quite interesting at first glance, and I'll be returning to it later for a more in-depth read, more out of nostalgia as I no longer have Aperture on my 2019 Mac Air. This came with the in-packaged Photo software, which I've found to be rather too basic for my liking. Facebook, the free software my partner uses for most of our at-home processing, is more intuitive, but alas again, doesn't work with my Macbook Air.

I've just this week re-downloaded Hasselblad's Phocus, which has its share of the usual ideosyncrasies peculiar to free photo software but also the advantage that it's free. This weekend is somewhat cold out here in rural Victoria state, so I plan to read up on Phocus and try to put some of its features into practice. Should be fun.

I'll be checking in again to see if any Aperture lovers are still using this once great but no longer sustainable (to my laptop anyway) bit of photo history from Apple.

I used to be a heavy user of Aperture myself and, sadly, it won't run on my new M1 Mac Mini. I'm looking for an editor myself now that I'll be back into the digital photography game and I need something that will handle RAW files. Right now I'm considering Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and Affinity Photo, but I'm open to suggestions.

I used to be a heavy user of Aperture myself and, sadly, it won't run on my new M1 Mac Mini. I'm looking for an editor myself now that I'll be back into the digital photography game and I need something that will handle RAW files. Right now I'm considering Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and Affinity Photo, but I'm open to suggestions.

Try Raw Power byGentlemen Coders. They were the group behind Aperture. It can be used as a stand alone or as a plug-in for Photos.

Try Raw Power by Gentlemen Coders. They were the group behind Aperture. It can be used as a stand alone or as a plug-in for Photos.

this is really good - much faster than Lightroom. I used it as a standalone tool.

The interface is minimalist (to my liking) and the controls are intuitive for someone working with Lightroom. Out of the box film simulations are available.

I could not find anything in terms of the pricing?

[Edit] Available on the Mac App store.

Just set up a new Mac PC. So, as I'm retiring soon I need some photo software. Lightroom or Photoshop? or, other suggestions?

I have been a Mac user for ever. The Photos app that comes with your computer is pretty decent for small adjustments in post. I refuse to pay a monthly fee for software. I use Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop. It will do anything you will ever need for post processing a file, JPG or Raw.

I still use Aperture on occasion, hacked to work on 64 bit.

Otherwise, Affinity Photo and Capture One (free version for Fujifilm.)

I'm much too comfortable with Lightroom--and a side trip to Silver Efex. I've tried several different softwares but never could get as comfortable with them as I am with old reliable LR. So I pay the rent and endure. Old and set in my ways I guess.

I pay for both Lightroom and Capture One. I basically use Lightroom for cataloging film images, and C1 for digital. C1 just blows away Lightroom for color. I wanted to convert to only that, but it won't read LAB or grayscale. There is nothing better than Lightroom for cataloging. And of course with Lightroom you get Photoshop. I couldn't really find a way to avoid the two frankly, at least not efficiently. I hate having to pay them every month though but they got me by the short and curlies.

I've tried pretty much everything. Paid and free. Darktable, Gimp, Acorn, Photoline, Raw Therapee, Phocus, Affinity, Canon's DPP and a bunch more I've forgotten the name of offhand. If you just need a basic editor Phocus is free and is a nicely laid out program. Some of the others feel like the layout was an afterthought when the coding was done.

Back