Australia/New Zealand good digital b&w printers Melbourne/Australia?

itf

itchy trigger finger
Local time
3:25 PM
Boring topic, but I need to get some black and white prints made from digital files and I'm looking for some ideas of where to go. I've contacted a few printers, none I've found do lambda / lightjet prints to b&w paper, only to colour paper.

I'm after pretty nice prints, my preference is for silver gelatin but I'm starting to consider inkjet as it seems that's all that's available locally. Any experience or suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Thanks Mike, I did find Blanco Negro. Unfortunately for me the prices put him out of the equation, though I'm sure it's worth it I just can't afford to pay for hand made darkroom prints.

How large are you looking to print? If you do go inkjet, what kind of paper?

...Mike

Somewhere between 18x12 and 24x16. I don't really know anything about inkjet printing or paper (I haven't done any digital printing before), but a couple different printers have suggested a few different papers including Ilford Baryta or something called silver rag.

I've used SMLXL in Prahan before, bot sure if they have what you're after though.

For B&W inkjet prints? How were they?

Thanks!

Somewhere between 18x12 and 24x16. I don't really know anything about inkjet printing or paper (I haven't done any digital printing before), but a couple different printers have suggested a few different papers including Ilford Baryta or something called silver rag.

For B&W inkjet prints? How were they?

Thanks!

They were fine, but I don't know discerning I am!

Somewhere between 18x12 and 24x16.
At those sizes - I guess depending on how many prints, and how likely you are to do it again - have you thought of buying a printer and doing it yourself? Perhaps a bit of up-front expense and learning curve, but it might be a worthwhile approach for the longer term...

...Mike

At those sizes - I guess depending on how many prints, and how likely you are to do it again - have you thought of buying a printer and doing it yourself? Perhaps a bit of up-front expense and learning curve, but it might be a worthwhile approach for the longer term...

The cost of professional inkjet prints doesn't seem too bad, and the overseas places doing lightjet prints on B&W paper seem reasonable too so I'll probably go one of those ways. Maybe try inkjet and see how they look.

It probably would be worthwhile to print myself, but I have nowhere to set up a printer or store it. Similar problem with film storage.

Back