Good friend has exhibit

airfrogusmc

Mentor
Local time
2:24 PM
I have a very good friend that has an exhibit now at the Chicago Library and it will be up for 6 months IIRC

https://www.chipublib.org/news/straight-into-the-camera/

You'll never guess who did the big portrait of him thats on wall? I was over there with him earlier today.
L1043413_zpsirxoweft.jpg

Dan yes Daves exhibit is terrific. One of the better photography exhibits I've seem in a while.
They have display cases with his camera and negatives and contact sheets from the time he was working on the project.

http://alibifineart.com/david-gremp---chicago-7879.html

I'm on my phone so I hope the link works; for those of us who won't be in Chicago in the next six months.

I'd love to see the prints themselves but a website is better than nothing. Personally, I really liked the milkman in front of his wonky van - even though it's about more than any single image.

Allen/mods...lose the link if it's an issue.

Hi Simon thanks for the link and it works. There are some of those in the show at the Chicago Library. The library show is big. 60 or so images. Dave had a show at Alibi and is having another show there in Jan 2016 IIRC. The library images scanned and inkjet and the Alibi exhibit will be silver.

Cheers for this -- will swing by. Maybe this weekend.

BTW- I'm starting to settle into my new neighborhood... getting out w/ the camera a bit more. Too bad the main one is busted. o_O

I stopped by the show this evening after work. Enjoyed it very much.

His request to look straight into the lens really adds life and depth to the images. "The eyes are the windows to the soul" is so true. The settings are a pleasure to see, but having that eye to eye connection with the subjects creates an entirely different dynamic.

Isn't it interesting what happens when you add a second person to a portrait? It seems to me to create what the poet Robert Bly called "a third body." Among my favorites were the two women in the shop with the plastic lemons above the counter, and the family on the porch with, presumably, the father in the lawn chair. But so many nice photos.

Please pass along my admiration and appreciation to your friend, the photographer. And thanks for the heads up on the show.

John

I will pass along your words to Dave. He worked on a tripod with a Yashica Mat which is in a display case. You can see Dave and tripod in a couple of the photos.

Back