Good Photographer's cookbook

johannielscom

Snorting silver salts
Local time
3:39 PM
The other day I was wondering, what makes a good photographer from somebody who can take pictures? It's possible to draw up a list of simple do's and don'ts, but what about the less obvious tricks, tips, skills etc. that are often overlooked and that do make a difference in the end?

I'm not just talking shooting the camera here, but also running a business, satisfying customers, pricing policy, etc.

Got any idea's about this that you want to share? Use this format: A Good Photographer ...

I'll go first: A Good Photographer ... knows when not to take a shot

Meaning, it's better to graciously decline tripping that shutter when there is little chance on success, than to lead the model or customer on and having to disappoint after all.

Excellent idea.. I only wish we can reach to a common ground at the end.

My two inputs:

A Good Photographer... believes his eyes first before the myths.

A Good Photographer... experiments first and then sticks to.

(Had to state so... since the '60s I have been dealing with lots of "questionables" penetrated into brains like rusty nails.)

A Good Photographer ... knows when to have lunch ... I don't normally use a cookbook

6972544870_db37a8d0d2_c.jpg

A good photographer... doesn't worry about 100% crops
A good photographer... knows there is more in the world than "sharpness"!

A good photographer spends more time shooting, editing and printing than browsing photo-related forums and fondling gear.

A good photographer knows when not to be a bad photographer.

Confucius knows when to have tea: when it's not time not to have tea.

Them mussels are makin me hungry :p

Nice rules of thumb so far, thanks. I'm planning to start myself as a professional photographer soon (meaning I'm going to leave teaching and will earn a living from photography, although I plan to still teach courses on photography) and this thread is supposed to help me realise what the do's and don'ts of the trade are.

Another one, open for debate (as are all other entries, I suppose):

A good photographer ... does not start himself in the business with discounts.

Because you will instantly lose new clients if you raise the prices after a while, or get a bad rep because of it.

A good photographer knows what his clients wants and delivers it.

A good photographer does not worry about what his clients think as his product stands on its own.

A good photographer always checks, if there is film/memory card/battery in the camera.
A good photographer always remembers to take a lens cap off.

Them mussels are makin me hungry :p

Nice rules of thumb so far, thanks. I'm planning to start myself as a professional photographer soon (meaning I'm going to leave teaching and will earn a living from photography, although I plan to still teach courses on photography) and this thread is supposed to help me realise what the do's and don'ts of the trade are.

Another one, open for debate (as are all other entries, I suppose):

A good photographer ... does not start himself in the business with discounts.

Because you will instantly lose new clients if you raise the prices after a while, or get a bad rep because of it.

Or, as the sales manager of the company I used to work for once said:

"If you give your product away, it isn't worth very much..."

Randy

A good photographer

A good photographer

A good photographer shoots something every day of his or her life - film or digital doesn't matter. As long as you're shooting something - good, bad or indifferent - you're on the right path.

A good photographer...knows when to take twenty shots of a subject, and when to take one shot of a subject.

Slightly tangentially, apparently the Victorian photographer could buy "Photographer's cookbooks" with recipes for using up all the egg yolks they were left with when they'd finished using the whites for albumen prints...

A good photographer knows what I do... and doesn't do it.

Adrian

A Good Photographer listens to the client - and asks questions.
A Good Photographer ensures his pricing model includes all on-costs, including depreciation, and all time.
A Good Photographer works calmly and politely under pressure - always.
A Good Photographer remembers that the best advertising is word of mouth referrals.
A Good Photographer uses a checklist. Just like pilots, and for the same reason.
A Good Photographer always carries backups - of everything.
A Good Photographer pays attention to the details.
A Good Photographer explains why quality is an investment that has lasting value, that quality takes care and attention to detail, that quality uses the best materials available, and therefore costs a little more.
A Good Photographer always addresses client concerns promptly, helpfully and professionally.

Back