Good Scanner or Good new digital camera?

Kupepe

Local time
11:41 PM
Goodmorning,

I got back to photography 2 years ago and it stuck with me. I am using my father's film camera, it works great, it has a sentimental value, since it is his and the one i learn to exposure, focus etc. It was a the pro camera of the line back in the 80s so it's not that I will outgrow it as a photographer ... I am shooting human interactions and what catches my eye. Don't like the street photography term. I am shooting Black and white.

My problem is after the development of the film. I have never seen the real photographs I shoot, since good scanning services cost a lot of money. So having to scan family and "work" may add a lot to the cost. Scans from cheap scanner give a lot of grain and you cannot see the quality of film. Pictures come out cartoonish.

After 2 years I think I come to realize how my photographs want to look like. In my mind I have 2 options :

- Buy a pro level scanner that is still supported by the company ( Noritsu) and keep shooting film ... ( ... and continue to save for a Leica M6 and lens)

- Buy a Fujiflm X100F and work with that most of the times and try to make the digital look like film.

Cost of both options is the about the same

I must say that I like film, the look and the whole slow process, not having a screen to check everytime. Digital is ease of use of me. I had an X100S for 3 days. Beautiful camera but battery left me like mid day and since it was a loan did not have a second one with me. Full mechanical analog camera ... just works. Shutter speed, Exposure, Focus, click. It's ease of mind.

Get Scanner :

+ Look of film
+ Care free operation
- Getting film to digital

Get Digital:

+ Speed of process
- Look of photos - more post process to get the film look.

What do you think ?

Don't get a Noritsu or Fuji or Agfalab. Those are "inexpensive" these days but they are made for commercial production, not fine personal work.
Try to find a Nikon, Canon or Minolta scanner. Something that does 4000dpi native scans and you'll be set.

Phil Forrest

Back