Good things are worth waiting for....

Tim Hicks

Local time
1:16 AM
First, let me thank Peter Dechert for his most excellent book on the Canon Rangefinder, it is the authoritative book on the subject and it is clear evidence of his comprehensive and dilligent research over many years. I bought the book about 15 years ago and read it with great interest but sadly the cameras were and are rare beasts in the UK and the few times I did see one, usually at the Photographica collectors fair in London, the price was high and there always seemed to be something a little more attainable that beckoned.

Finally in July this year I bought a Canon 7 and a couple of lenses and since then I have also bought a Canon P and I am having a lot of fun. I finally jumped in and the water is fine! Of course, Peter's book has been an invaluable and much re-read source of information and guidance in the last few weeks.

First impressions? I have used a wide collection of Canon SLRs from the FP to the EOS30 and the odd Canonet too. In terms of quality "feel" the rangefinder Canons are up there with the F1n, the EF and the FT/FTb. In terms of useability I am having to learn or re-learn a few skills, as it is all down to me. No shutter priority auto and no meter (the 7 Meter isn't working) - but it is great fun to be in control and the results so far are encouraging. A late 50 f1.4 is due to arrive in the next few days and I will be keen to try this highly regarded lens in place of the Jupiter I have been making do with.

Good things are always worth waiting for but 15 years of anticipation is maybe a little too long!

Welcome from Oregon. The Canon P was my first RF after a life with Olympus OM's at hand ( and a baby Yashica 44 bought in London 1973), and my raison d'entree as an RFF lurker and later member. The disease is more advanced now ;-) but merely a lifelong non-fatal condition. Unless I step back too far in a busy street to get everything I want in the frame.

I have an L1 these days, and have kept my 1940s 100 3.5 for sentimental reasons, but I enjoyed and admired the 50 1.4, 85 1.9, and late 135 3.5 now sold or traded to finagle other RF gear. Join us in the gallery and other image threads, and try not to open the Classifieds first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Welcome from Oregon. The Canon P was my first RF after a life with Olympus OM's at hand ( and a baby Yashica 44 bought in London 1973), and my raison d'entree as an RFF lurker and later member. The disease is more advanced now ;-) but merely a lifelong non-fatal condition. Unless I step back too far in a busy street to get everything I want in the frame.

I have an L1 these days, and have kept my 1940s 100 3.5 for sentimental reasons, but I enjoyed and admired the 50 1.4, 85 1.9, and late 135 3.5 now sold or traded to finagle other RF gear. Join us in the gallery and other image threads, and try not to open the Classifieds first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Many thanks for the welcome and the sound advice Robert, I hope to put this stuff to good use at the weekend.

Back