Got an XT-10 a while back...

Pfreddee

Well-known
Local time
1:14 AM
I'm having a wonderful time with it. The newest thing for me is the EVF. The whole outfit (with the 18-55 kit lens) is very portable, although I think I would like to replace the strap that Fujifilm supplied with the kit with one which allows me to sling the camera over my shoulder, instead of having it swinging wildly from my neck. I am very happy with the pictures (JPEGs) and I'm using it like a point-and-shoot right now. Still learning the ins and outs of the different features, but I am in no hurry. This camera has a very high fun-factor attached to it.

Also, has anyone bought one of the prime lenses that Fujifilm makes, and how do you like them? The kit lens is fine for now, but I am looking at the 27mm f/2.8 and the 23mm f/2 as possible additions. (Yes, I know that are pretty close together, but still...)

This is NOT intended as any kind of a review, just my experience with the camera so far.

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)

Glad you are having a good time with the camera. Many of us here have many of the primes (or have used them at one time). What are you looking for that the zoom isn't providing? Obviously the 27mm is the smallest Fuji lens.

The kit lens is just fine as it is. I'm from an era when one used primes, and I guess I'm looking at getting an embarrassment of riches with another lens or two. No rational reason.

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)

i recently bought an xt20 and except for the small size think it's a great camera.
the bigger fuji lenses fit ok on it but then i have a small grip and a thumb thing on it.
the 27 seems made for it, size wise...i also like the smaller 23 as well. really, it's hard to go wrong with any fuji lens.

I think the natural fit, based on the size of the body, are the 23/35/50 f/2 primes and the 18mm / 27mm pancake lenses. The 27mm is the cheapest used, so you could always go that route first. If you only buy new, I would most certainly pick a F2 prime over the 27mm.

Fuji's primes are tremendous. The 27 is very good but not completely representative of what makes the X system good in my opinion - having no aperture ring.

The 23mm and 35mm f2 are superb and well priced lenses - I'd go with them.

I agree with the others--Fuji primes are pretty outstanding. At least all 8 I own. Some are more outstanding than others but I have no serious complaints about any of them.

The 23mm and 35mm f/2 lenses are my most used lenses, beating out the f/1.4 models when used on the XPro1 because of smaller size and faster/quieter AF. Either would be a good fit for the small XT10. The 27/2.8 was one of my first Fuji lenses. The lack of an aperture ring is its only fault in my opinion yet it performs well and the size is perfect for smaller bodies.

Considering you currently have the 18-55mm, I would suggest either the 23/2 or 35/2 as a first prime lens. Personally, I would choose the 35/2 since it's the traditional "normal" focal length for the format but many prefer the wider 23mm as their standard lens.

I have owned quite a few Fujinon XF primes.

I enjoyed using all of them.

The newest lenses have the best AF motor technologies. Some of the older lenses have somewhat better optics (I'm thinking of the 35/1.4). They all have excellent flare/ghosting resistance and very low levels of lateral and longitudinal chromatic aberrations. Some have a bit more coma compared to other brands. I think the build quality is excellent... even for the less expensive lenses.

Some of the primes tend to be specialized. For example, The 27/2.8 is a wonderful, convenient reportage lens, but it does not have an aperture ring. The Fujifilm 60mm f/2.4 XF is designed for close-up work so the AF motors are designed for critical focus (i.e. slow). People who use them for medium telephoto action photography can be frustrated.

So read several reviews to figure out which XF primes will best match your preferences.

I have an X-T10 (but have since bought a X-T1 as I was never comfortable with how small it was in my hands). I have the 18/23/27/35 but i'm thinking of selling the 18 and 27 as I have a Ricoh GRII on the way.

All of the lenses are great, but the 18 and 27 are the weakest due to the AF (speed and noise) as well as the other things already mentioned. However, they are both compact and have served me well until I bought the 23 and 35.

Have a look at which focal length you use the most with your zoom and go with that for your new lens :)

Love my XT10

Love my XT10

I have extensive use with my Fuji XT10 after having used it over the last year for personal work, wedding work and personal project work in a bit of a standard Vancouver down-pour (yes it still works). I'm starting to use more of my Sony a7 setup because I really missed full frame (and other reasons) but the Fuji XT10 is a great camera.

I only have the 35mm F1.4 XF lens but it's fantastic. Not as fast as the new F2 WR lenses but it has that added bit of separation (due to F1.4) and has been an overall steady performer. I also had the 18mm F2 at one time but returned it as it wasn't giving me the full frame separation I wanted at wider angles... but that's just me. Otherwise, that one is a stellar performer as well. Not perfect technically .... but really, who cares unless you're printing 20x30" posters.

I have also adapted Leica and Canon lenses to my Fuji XT10 and, with focus magnifying, I can nail the focus pretty good.

Great camera and a nice variety of lenses to choose from. But for me, it isn't full frame.

I've decided to get a X-T10 and the 27mm as my "cheap camera" for when I'm going into areas that I don't feel as comfortable with my usual equipment (X-Pro2 / X-T2 and more expensive primes). Also, it'll be the first Fuji I use on a wrist strap.

Back