Konica LTM Got glass, need body. Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon

Konica M39 lenses
Thanks for the welcome venchka. I will pay my tribute soon and post some photos, hopefully. I will check the classifieds. A Canon could be sweet and fit into my little collection of classic fixed RF cameras. Or a Hexar RF, or a Bessa, or a Leica.... I am sure there is a camera waiting for me. Thanks for all your replies again and the good advise on thread mount adapters and filters for this lens.

Yes the Hexar RF from Israel. I saw better offers. But I like the Canon 7 - CLA'd by Sherry Krauter, but I am turned off by the wrinkled shutter curtain, even if this is a common problem with the Canon RF. I think the UC-Hexanon does not really fit to a Leica. For a Leica camera I would prefer a 35mm Leitz lens. CVs are Ok if you can not afford the Leitz, but the Konica Hexanon belongs to another camera. Than there is still the Bessas, which are kind of cheap and come with 3 year warranty if you buy them new here. I do not want to spent so much money on a film body anymore and also kind of like idea to have a "cheap" body, but very good lens. Well, I am not in a hurry. Got some nice fixed RF cameras at the moment, which are fun to shoot with. There was not even a need to buy this lens, but since I have not spent a lot of money on equipment, I thought this would be a nice purchase since it was available. Maybe I will never buy another 35mm lens, and hopefully do some nice pictures with this one...

Last edited:
If price isn't a consideration I would definitely say a black paint Leica MP. One of the nicest physical things about the Hexanon-UC is its beautiful finish and its a good match to a Leica black paint camera. One of the M6 special edition BP would be a second choice. Any Leica with a 35mm frame would be fine M2/M4/M5, but a nice small M6/MP with built-in meter would be a great combination.

ISO said:
Yes the Hexar RF from Israel. I saw better offers. But I like the Canon 7 - CLA'd by Sherry Krauter, but I am turned off by the wrinkled shutter curtain, even if this is a common problem with the Canon RF. I think the UC-Hexanon does not really fit to a Leica. For a Leica camera I would prefer a 35mm Leitz lens. CVs are Ok if you can not afford the Leitz, but the Konica Hexanon belongs to another camera. Than there is still the Bessas, which are kind of cheap and come with 3 year warranty if you buy them new here. I do not want to spent so much money on a film body anymore and also kind of like idea to have a "cheap" body, but very good lens. Well, I am not in a hurry. Got some nice fixed RF cameras at the moment, which are fun to shoot with. There was not even a need to buy this lens, but since I have not spent a lot of money on equipment, I thought this would be a nice purchase since it was available. Maybe I will never buy another 35mm lens, and hopefully do some nice pictures with this one...

While many of us will not agree with you on your statement about CV lenses (and
if only for the fact that several CV lenses are unique in their specs, see my avatar), your statement perfectly
demonstrates how subjective choice of the body is. Lens performance can be measured
or looked at via photos, the body has to be comfortable for you only. There is really no bad
M mount camera and most LTM cameras are good as well. Once you get closer to
purchase, I recommend playing with some of the cameras and then decide ....

"Buy one of the Bessas and go out shooting" :)

Roland.

ISO said:
Interesting question KoNickon. Does anybody have an answer here, before going back to the topic. Please do not forget, I still need a body...:)

I am batting .500.
I've had a Chinese adapter that didn't bring up the proper lines and never seemed to lock the lens securely in place, and a second adapter that works perfectly, and is indistinguishable in performance from the CV and Leica alternatives.

The difference is the first one was bought online, and no trial was possible. The second time around I was wiser and tested its fit before handing over the dough.

Many people won't have the stomach for this kind of uncertainty, but the Chinese gewgags are very cheap in price, and the branded ones, in my mind, unfairly priced.

I bought ten Chinese adapters from "kawamall" on eBay and put one on all the L-mount lenses I use.

They are perfect. Perfect focus. I paid about $7 each.

It's not rocket science to make an accurate thickness with modern machining equipment, and they are probably MORE consistent then the older Leica adapters.

It's a piece of metal, for god's sake. I checked them with a digital micrometer against a Leitz adapter, and everything was OK.

If you prefer to be a superstious nut and pay $70 for the same piece of metal with "Leica" stamped on it, be my guest.

PS: ALL adapters occassionally don't seat right or "click" into place, even the Leica ones. A few seconds bending the prongs with a needle nose pliers solves all your angst.

Amen brother Edward. My freshly minted $12 Japanese 35/135 adapter seems perfect on a 135mm Jupiter 11.

I especially like the box description of the "Automatic Blight Frame Selection." Not only is the blight line :p selected correctly, but it focuses fine.

Taken today with a crummy, miserable, cheap, inaccurate Chinese adapter. L-mount Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Epson R-D1 camera:

Shot with R-D1 at 2007-06-25

Last edited:
Same crummy adapter used on a Leica M2 film camera with Nikkor 35mm f1.8, but because it had a Nikkor lens on it, the karmic mismatched lens mojo ruined all the photos. The Leica knew that it did not have a German lens on it and something went wrong on a molecular level.

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Well, if you think she was a candidate for the Gay/Transvestite Parade, you probably would be wrong:

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Last edited:
She doesn't have a schmeckle either, although nowadays I hear they cut them off and take hormone injections. One never knows, does one?

Edward Fletcher, when I see your pictures from the streets of NY, it really makes me want to go out there and take pictures myself. Nice stuff !!! I also like your Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Epson R-D1 combination a lot. May I ask you, if you shoot your street stuff in automatic mode or do you use sunny 16 or a handheld meter in combination with the RD-1. Do you also shoot from the hip from time to time. I am just interested in the way you shoot there.

With the RD-1, I set the aperture for the lighting conditions or depth of field I want, then I let the camera pick the shutter speed on automatic.

I can focus pretty fast, but if I want to do a grab shot of a girl or something on the street, I set the ISO at 800, lens at f8 or f11 and prefocus around 7 feet away, then just shoot and let the depth of field keep everything in focus.

Thanks Edward. Yes I was interested if you use AE mode. For myself, I think the UC-Hexanon and a Bessa R2a could make a great combination. Maybe I find a way to test one....

Last edited:
Edward Felcher said:
Same crummy adapter used on a Leica M2 film camera with Nikkor 35mm f1.8, but because it had a Nikkor lens on it, the karmic mismatched lens mojo ruined all the photos. The Leica knew that it did not have a German lens on it and something went wrong on a molecular level.

Shot at 2007-06-25

Pretty amazing for a 35mm lens and close focus of 3.5 feet. :cool:

Roland.

I keep the camera in a plastic bag inside a "messenger" type shoulder bag. I take it out and hold it when I want to take pictures, then put it back.

I could take pictures which are just as good or better with a cheap digital camera, don't really need the R-D1 but I'm an equipment geek and I just like using the old lenses with it.

Honestly, no matter which camera/lens I used I would get good results and especially online, in jpg's, nobody could see the difference between the 1950's Nikkor or a Canon point and shoot $150 digicam. It would be faster to focus too, with AF.

Back