got myself a nokton 35/1.2 and.....

ARI_1969

Local time
2:03 AM
well my friends.... after lots of arguing and money saving (stopped smoking to save about 5€ a day) I finally pressed the ebay button last sunday.
Today it arrived....
Then, after unpacking I started to play a little with aperature and focusing dials...
this is where I got a bit "concerned"

Focusing: feeling smooooth, but sound... abit like missing grease...

aperature: sounds like something is slightly loose inside...again feels like not having damping (grease)

please tell me I am an "over-concerned" mechanical eingineer spoilt from ZEISS and LEICA lenses... but then, my old nokton 50/1.5 feels much more smooth...

tell me I did not wase 760€

best regards

Achim

I have a new Nokton, smooth focusing
but if you put your ear to it... sounds like..missing grease.

aperture clicks sounds like ... dry sherry

perhaps the size of this lens amplifies the soundwaves.

after lots of arguing and money saving (stopped smoking to save about 5€ a day)
Congratulation to stopp smoking and buying instead a Nokton 1.2/35 :)

My Nokton 35/1.2 is smooth in focusing ( "L"-like) and there is no noise when I focus the lens.
But you are right - the aperture click sounds different than "L"

the aperture ring on mine has a sound that could be described as more light and metallic as compared to my other voigtlander lenses. the focus is very smooth though , and was a bit stiffer than i would have liked when it was new but it has eased up now to be just right. it has no roughness to it at all.

the current Zeiss lenses are Cosina built, just like that Nokton. the aperture ring of mine sounds a little 'clickier' than my 1.5/50 Nokton's as well, but I'd put that on the diameter/size as well. in terms of 'mechanical engineering' there's absolutely nothing wrong with it ;)

erm.... maybe you should be a little concerned....

My sample is about 4 months old. Aperture clicks are well-defined and smooth. Focusing is smooth and well damped.

I think VC's grease is not that good and may deteriorate over time. I have a 40/1.4 and a 21/2.8 Biogon and both ended up VERY sqeaky after some initial "poor feel". But any competent technician can regrease it to perfection.

Run a test roll to check the optics and the focusing accuracy. That is most important. Don't worry too much about the mechanics, that's easy fix.

Enjoy! A wonderful lens!

Achim, first congrats for quitting smoking ! I know the government around here is making it easier for us to quit since they raise the price of the pack, but I, as a smoker, can only congratulate you. Now, for the Nokton, I am afraid only time will tell if you really have a problem or it is just something that is like that in the nodern manufacturing at lower cost that we are seeing. In the mean time, have fun with your new lens.

Regards, Stefan

thanks for the fast expertise to everyone.

I think simon describes it best...somewhat clickier....
although I can not share simons theory of tolerances an diameter...
in fact, aperature ring has some slight play at the f-stops... lets say less than a grade... but anyway, thanks for the reply.

to slungu and rxmd: Yes, bought the lens for the optical performance. Will use it with Hexar RF and a G1.

now. without nicotine, I'll have some beer tonight at the pub and wil think on, how dry sherry sounds...

stay tuned

achim

;)...

Back