Graveyard alive

Lux Optima

Established
Local time
10:22 PM
This shy deer lives in one of the long forgotten parts of the central graveyard ("Zentralfriedhof") in Vienna, that looks like in an old horror movie. No one is caring for the graves since decades and so no one disturbes the wildlife - or the eternal peace of the dead.

(I love taking pictures with my MM 246 in a morbid setting. B&W is reducing life to its essence.)

med_U72454I1502223676.SEQ.0.jpg

The deserted ones are the best cemeteries! The deer seems a bit protective.

Interestingly, I posted a grave picture just before I noticed this thread. Quite a different atmosphere though.

I love those old graveyards and find them not in the least bit morbid but rather they stimulate me to think about the lives of the people who now lie buried there. While I have not visited it, the cemetery I find most evocative in pictures is the old Jewish cemetery in Prague.

This is one of my favorite shots I took in a graveyard in Adelaide Australia I think with a Leica M4P on Ilford XP2.

Weeping by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Graveyards are indeed a very special way to think about life - and how important it is to live a good one. I wonder what it says about me and my lifestyle that I enjoy beeing there so much.

And yes, I should visit Prague, it really seems to be a beautiful city. The Jewish cemetery must be very, very interesting.

Great picture from Adelaide. Thanks! Graveyards and film seem to be quite a match.

Great photos both Stefan and Peter. Love the mood.

I was in Prague in 2012 and here are a few pics from the Jewish Cemetery.
A place with a special atmosphere very difficult to express...

robert

med_U3692I1502281563.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U3692I1502281564.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U3692I1502281565.SEQ.2.jpg

Back