Great bags for all your expensive gear

I have had some fancy bags in the past and still have a small one in my closet. Honestly, I just prefer a good Domke at this point in my life.

Well, the elephant skin bag was selling at $40,000 USD. How much to hire a porter? I suppose a full time annual salary plus taxes etc. would be more...but on an outing basis, much too cheap for the "Leica Man". ;). Go elephant skin

I buy my camera bags at second-hand stores or charity shops as I don't care for some of the interior designs of the newer bags. Yeah, even for my Leica's.

PF

Well, the elephant skin bag was selling at $40,000 USD. How much to hire a porter? I suppose a full time annual salary plus taxes etc. would be more...but on an outing basis, much too cheap for the "Leica Man". ;). Go elephant skin

If I had a $40,000 camera bag, I'd need armed guards. I can't believe anyone would buy such a thing!

Might look dorky but I prefer a vest with cargo pockets. Never use a bag except to segregate stuff into kits at home and haul stuff in the trunk. And have obtained all my bags from Goodwill or Value Village for no more than $5-6 each. Even with a vest try to keep it as light and simple as possible with either zero or one or, at most two extra lenses. Small meter, note book, extra roll of film and what other oddities may be needed.
Anyway, don’t have any fancy $2 to 6K cameras that need $250 half cases to complete the ensemble and project an impression. None of my camera bodies has even cost that much!

’Bottom feeder’ is a compliment!

I prefer to use a backpack. A simple Montbell backpack for everyday use and an LL Bean Continental Rucksack for my Fuji GFX stuff.

However, I recently bought a Montbell Light Photo Shoulder Bag (M-size) for carrying my X100V or X-Pro3 when I want to really travel light.
k_1133224_thym.jpg

All the best,
Mike

This is my only bag in use. I have two more, one full of camera straps and another one that i keep filters/lens hoods, cups etc in.
It came with my first camera (a Praktica BMS) - the seller was desperate to sell it with the camera as he was arguing that it is the only way to make some profit. Apparently he was selling me the camera at no profit.

The Praktica has died decades ago but the carrier bag still lives on and is the only bag i will use.

AVvXsEg5EHOIvVyRfJ7Gs8Yi1r7NssKf16b9ukm95fHhTnDwpMoDxyFlzQ5PnwTIZ02Jj2KAMKX7zyF4CcMJIbVRYuZ3iMXm9v8mYgwaEjo6x0lbbbWobqzFieAH5EAjXTxjYgV2ZAYHLZkBFNRNbZht_98j-nWcF3YHmoZEF_32kPMvU9XaPzsxDlm4CgTg=s500

I saw an article regarding a poll of Wharton students with the question "how much do you think middle class workers make". the answers typically over 150$K and one student answered 800K$.

Alfred Eisenstaedt said that once when he thought he wanted a new camera bag, he decided against it because it would not improve his photography.

As beautiful as those leather bags are, they look a little risky for street photographers. My bag of late has been a Timbuk2 Vapor Crossbody, which looks nothing like a camera bag. I can put a small RF camera and a lens or two in it, w/ room for sunglasses and a few rolls of film (or batteries). Its small size forces you to pair your walkabout kit to the minimum. It’s pretty inconspicuous. And light weight. Of course, it doesn’t smell as nice as those leather bags, but it also costs under $100 usd.

As beautiful as those leather bags are, they look a little risky for street photographers. My bag of late has been a Timbuk2 Vapor Crossbody, which looks nothing like a camera bag. I can put a small RF camera and a lens or two in it, w/ room for sunglasses and a few rolls of film (or batteries). Its small size forces you to pair your walkabout kit to the minimum. It’s pretty inconspicuous. And light weight. Of course, it doesn’t smell as nice as those leather bags, but it also costs under $100 usd.

The upside is that you never have to saddlesoap the canvas bag.

There aren't many Elon Musks in the world. Where I live, most people would gladly sell their souls to earn $40,000 in a year.

One is more than enough! And I've never made $40,000.00 in a year either. And though I tried to cut a deal with the Devil once, he only offered me $1.99, take it or leave it.

I've always been very suspicious of leather bags. It seems that every time I come across a yard sale or flea market "find" of an old leather bag with cameras or lenses inside, they are ruined by extensive fungus. I suspect that the leather traps moisture and provides a yummy environment for mold/mildew organisms. In addition, leather bags are a good deal heavier than their fabric counterparts, an issue for this old geezer with a bad back and medium format cameras to tote.
Certainly I'm not adverse to spending some money on my bags (or any other photo trinkets), but if I do, it will be on a Billingham.

This is why I avoid leather bags. I have the same understanding about the danger of fungus. I've never had a problem with a canvas bag.

Back