Great Example of what Poor Ebay Headings get you

Ouch, what a key descriptor to omit. C'est la Guerre.

Bob

I'm sure he doesn't know what a rangefinder is. This is the kind of person that makes it worthwhile to bid on eBay.

A good SEARCHER would have found it by carefully looking at ANYTHING called "Nippon Kogaku".

Did anyone look at the items 'ol mopsy has sold? He's not so uninformed and crazy as we think. He's crazy like a fox. I have to admit though, that title is a really, really bad one.

seller of the M

seller of the M

Seller knows exactly what the camera was. he just decided to list it that way, ebay now gives you 80 characters for a title, sometimes it just doesn't work. the Nikon for $102, i was out bid at $100, then the seller ended the listing by selling to the
(fast talking high bidder). i offered the seller $450 for it, still sold it to the the guy for $102.50,, i just do not get it sometimes,

Wow, you offered the seller 4 times the amount and he didn't take it. I would have, and to heck w/ eBay's picayune rules. But eBay has a way of punishing sellers that don't follow through on sales, so maybe he figured eBay's potential problems dwarf a $450 sale. Having dealt w/ their "people" before, I understand.

Crazy like a fox... no, he did not overlook rangefinder name.

Crazy like a fox... no, he did not overlook rangefinder name.

Seller knows exactly what the camera was. he just decided to list it that way, ebay now gives you 80 characters for a title, sometimes it just doesn't work. the Nikon for $102, i was out bid at $100, then the seller ended the listing by selling to the
(fast talking high bidder). i offered the seller $450 for it, still sold it to the the guy for $102.50,, i just do not get it sometimes,

I agree with SP9107... there are times when the character limitation simply does not allow for all the information you would like to think adds to a description. Certain things are clear on this listing.

1) The seller used as much info in the title as he thought would find the right buyer.
2) He found the right buyer at HIS price... he set his price at the level he thought he could get, or that he needed to make the deal work for him.
3) Range finder did NOT fit the title limitations, and he felt it was more valuable to get other more important info into the title.
4) I agree with his logic as I do not place the fact that it is a range finder as any more important than the fact that it would have been more important to me to have noted that it was a limited production Nikon with only 1643 produced from 8-1949 to 12-1950 (the M model).
5) I suggest that the seller knew the nature of interest in this camera would be from people who would instantly count two windows on the front and have that AHAA! moment Wow it's a rangefinder, let me check my bank account and the balance on my home equity loan account.
6) The man got his money. His own price was the final bid. He knew that you would have to advertise more than just Nikon RangeFinder to get into the price ballpark. Very few Nikon rangefinders approach this price point without other special aspects, like the limited production, etc.

NO, I don't think he left any money on the table by not using the words rangefinder. When are we going to break through this illusion that there is something mythically worship inducing for this focus system?

Please??

I agree with SP9107... there are times when the character limitation simply does not allow for all the information you would like to think adds to a description. Certain things are clear on this listing.

"Nikon rangefinder 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adapter" would have been under the 80 character limit.

Point taken but not convincing...

Point taken but not convincing...

"Nikon rangefinder 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adapter" would have been under the 80 character limit.

"Nikon M one of 1643 produced in 1949 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adaptor" would have fit under the character limit and been a more productive title. I just believe the whole "rangefinder" issue to be less important than other information implying more value.

However all this is secondary to the fact that the seller got the price he wanted. He stated that desired price when he paid more for his listing to use a high starting price.

It should also be noted that Mopsy has over 14 years of eBay activity and 1500 transactions. I doubt if few on this forum could show him a better way to title a listing, considering what I saw by wandering through his feedback. I'd be grinning widely at the suggestions posted in this thread.

Back