GRII positive film and editing

Rangeman133

Established
Local time
3:31 AM
Before this camera, I always shot in RAW.

But with this camera, the jpeg positive film results just look unbelievable. For this reason, I've been more focused in trying to nail the exposure in camera at the time of shooting.

Is there any Ricoh software (or editing software) that allows me to shoot in RAW, and then apply whatever 'positive film' algorithm that the camera applies, so that I can have a RAW file, that looks like the jpg color film, and use this as my base starting point for RAW editing?

Reason for doing so, is that despite the amazing rendering of positive film, sometimes I do like to slightly darken/lighten areas, and jpg editing is too destructive.

I'm currently using capture one for editing.

hope that makes sense!

Actually, if you have a Mac try the donationware RPP64. You will have to go to their support forum to get the latest version, they never update their website. The LF film simulation (Ektar) has a look a lot like Positive Film.

DNG converted to JPEG in LR
51426773351_06627c8073_k.jpg

SOOC JPEG with Positive Film
51427019168_0ec4a3327c_k.jpg

RPP 64 with LF Film simulation (no other changes)

51427533494_9b3d0ec527_k.jpg

Shawn

When the GR first arrived some years ago, I made a Lightroom preset as an attempt to emulate the look of Positive Film. Shoot me an email address through private message and I'll send it to you, assuming you use Lightroom.

Back