growing old waiting

wpm

Local time
10:23 PM
Is anyone still waiting for the elusive sensor replacement for the MMI?
I sent mine to Leica N.J. at the end of May and got the 20 week wait line.
Two months ago, I began calling them on a regular basis to check up on them. Well, two weeks ago I called and the person said it was in her hands and was finished but her supervisor had a question about it. I called back 3 hours later when she said she'd call me back in one hour to be told, oh, their bad, it wasn't ready and that they were going to send it to Germany but then changed their minds and would fix it in house.
Well, then after being told to call back in a week, I was told apologetically that I was at the top of the list and that they would be getting some sensors in this week and that I should have it back before Thanksgiving. Well, today I got the following:

Good Morning Mr. Maas,

I wanted to update your on the status of your Monochrom, unfortunately at this time it’s going to be at least another 4 weeks before we get more sensors in from Germany. If you are interested, we can offer you an upgrade from the options below.

Upgrade from
Description
Monochrom
Upgrade to M (Type 240),
$3,100
Upgrade to M-P (Type 240),
$3,500
Upgrade to Monochrom (Type 246),
$3,750
Upgrade to M (Type 262),
$2,750
Upgrade to M-D,
$2,750
Upgrade to SL
$2,750
Upgrade to Leica "Q"
$2,100

Your camera is on our priority list if you would still like to wait for the repair. Please let me know which option you choose
If you have any further questions please let me know.

Oh, I had questions. Mainly, would I get the camera back in 2018?
Leica needs to get its act together.

Send them a legal notice to the effect your Heirs and Assigns will keep in contact and hopefully it will at least be ready for the estate sale.
Kind of snarky, but sounds like they deserve it.

Never does good to piss of the people in control of the situation. What other option do you have? You might request that they send it to Germany. I bet they'd be relieved to have it off their back.

I sent mine at the end of July. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "That reminds me! I should check in on this." After reading your post, I think I'm better off not peering into how the sausage is made. ;)

I am fortunate to have other cameras to keep me occupied while my MM is having its sensor replaced. I did consider upgrading to another body when the opportunity arose, but realized that the MM has a special place in the stable - a rarity among digital bodies!

I look forward to having it back, but have also learned the hard way that patience is a necessary ingredient when dealing with Leica repairs.

Send them a legal notice to the effect your Heirs and Assigns will keep in contact and hopefully it will at least be ready for the estate sale.
Kind of snarky, but sounds like they deserve it.

My sentiments exactly. At the risk of disturbing the force, I think 6 months should be enough. I too have other cameras, some even not Leicas. I told them to keep it and fix it whenever, though I'm sure now I'm knocked back down to the bottom of the list. We should expect better from them. I hope others fare better. I do know they are swamped and are getting sensors in dribs and drabs.

Don't hold your breath. My M9s were forever too. Kinda forgot I even had them by the time they came back. And one had to be returned for oil on the new sensor, a separate several week ordeal. The kind of service one should expect for free I guess...

But then one pays for service and it is just as bad. My MP was there nearly a year.

There are no excuses for this kind of poor service .... condolences to all caught up in it.

Poor research and no contingency planning.

My monochrom is MIA as well in NJ, to this point I've chosen not to do the checking in thing and just see what happens. Maybe it's time to start. (My M-E just magically appeared one day with no notice at all)

Joe

In my experience when firms can give you a definite indication of the time delay even if its something like "There are 20 people before you and we estimate that it will take 6 months to complete your repairs - we will phone you when we start on your job so you have a more exact indication of when you will receive it" all except the most unreasonable people are willing to accept that.
But when they screw you about with no feedback, then give contradictory messages when you call people get "antsy" and annoyed. Least I would. A little honest communication goes a long, long way with most people.

I've been very understanding and patient over the phone in my conversations with each different person every time. I just heard back from the person who sent that email. She was very understanding and pleasant. She told me Germany is having the same problem with getting sensors and she stated again that I was at the top of the list and would get a sensor in the next shipment. Not sure I'm convinced after having been told I'd get one this week. I'm old enough to be skeptical. At this point, I'll just sit back and have it show up out of the blue like Joe's M-E. My one year old grandson might get to use it when he's in high school. Now I'm just praying the ISO knob on my M10 keeps cooperating.

This reminds me I have to put in a order for single use silver halide sensors for my M4-2 and other cameras. I live in the PNW, order online with B&H and they always appear on my doorstep in about a week.

Fortunately so far these sensors have always been in stock, amazingly fit all my 35mm cameras, and I can even install them myself.

Oh, I had questions. Mainly, would I get the camera back in 2018?
Leica needs to get it's act together.

Think about earning your income with your camera gear and having to deal with this stuff from Leica. It's why most pros won't buy Leica gear. This is something Leica created, their whole digital camera mess. I honestly think they don't see this stuff as a problem.

Boutique-ism .. as long as it looks good, it doesn't have to work right.

Good luck to you. I hope you get your camera back soon. If it were me, I would sell it on it's return.

Think about earning your income with your camera gear and having to deal with this stuff from Leica. It's why most pros won't buy Leica gear. This is something Leica created, their whole digital camera mess. I honestly think they don't see this stuff as a problem.

Boutique-ism .. as long as it looks good, it doesn't have to work right.

Good luck to you. I hope you get your camera back soon. If it were me, I would sell it on it's return.

I foolishly bought an M9 and seriously regretted it. It 3 new lenses and my old 90 Apo spent almost half the time I had them in the shop. I fortunately sold it and the 4 lenses before the sensor issue came to light.

Each time I'd send my equipment in I'd call and explain I've used Leicas professionally since 1968. I explained I make 100% of my living with my equipment. I'd ask if there was a pro priority service and the answer was always , NO. I'd ask if there were loaners while my equipment was in the shop and the answer was always, NO ( you're not a rich dentist).

I've tried to forget the experience now but in the end after footing the shipping up every time and months and months without my equipment and it failing again a few days after receiving it back from repair I finally said I want the problem resolved or replaced or I'm going to get my attorney to deal with this and I'm going to tell everyone I know about the S**T service I've received and the junk your pawning off on us. This got their attention and they replaced one of my lenses which resolved my issue. Let's say I sold all of it as quickly as I could. I vowed to the guy at Leica NJ that I'll never recommend anyone buy any new Leica lenses or new or used digital and I'll never buy personally buy any new or used digital Leica gear or new lenses.

I primarily use Nikon and have been an NPS member for decades. Service has never been more than two weeks and free loaners are available whether bodies or lenses. Repairs carry a 20% discount as well. Everything about NPs and Canons CPS is to support the pro customer. There's no charge for Nikon NPS. It's obvious Nikon totally supports the pro base that built their company. They've never forgotten us. Leica on the other hand, nothing but abuse for every customer. Why people continue to buy Leica gear I don't know. I certainly won't.

This reminds me I have to put in a order for single use silver halide sensors for my M4-2 and other cameras. I live in the PNW, order online with B&H and they always appear on my doorstep in about a week.

Fortunately so far these sensors have always been in stock, amazingly fit all my 35mm cameras, and I can even install them myself.

Dude, I love your snarky attitude. PKR, I do think your point is well taken. I use Leicas, not because I'm such a fabulous photographer or because I wear them well, but because I like the form and the output. I also use Fuji, which I like but it ain't a Leica. I need to maybe go back to those silver halide sensors as well. Then again, I thought it would make a good looking, very expensive paper weight.

Received an update today. My MM has also been in since July. It will be after the first of the year at a minimum for my camera. Very slow stream of sensors from Germany, which is where the bottleneck is at.

I sent my Monochrom in August to Germany and got 2 emails one in October and then a few weeks ago about shortages of spare parts. Disappointed yes but meanwhile I'll use up my film stockpile. I still have 9 cans of Arista branded Acros in the freezer! The MM is a camera I will be using for the next decade as long as nothing else breaks. A few more months of waiting won't matter to me, not like I am using it to put food on the table.

I foolishly bought an M9 and seriously regretted it. It 3 new lenses and my old 90 Apo spent almost half the time I had them in the shop. I fortunately sold it and the 4 lenses before the sensor issue came to light.

Each time I'd send my equipment in I'd call and explain I've used Leicas professionally since 1968. I explained I make 100% of my living with my equipment. I'd ask if there was a pro priority service and the answer was always , NO. I'd ask if there were loaners while my equipment was in the shop and the answer was always, NO ( you're not a rich dentist).

I've tried to forget the experience now but in the end after footing the shipping up every time and months and months without my equipment and it failing again a few days after receiving it back from repair I finally said I want the problem resolved or replaced or I'm going to get my attorney to deal with this and I'm going to tell everyone I know about the S**T service I've received and the junk your pawning off on us. This got their attention and they replaced one of my lenses which resolved my issue. Let's say I sold all of it as quickly as I could. I vowed to the guy at Leica NJ that I'll never recommend anyone buy any new Leica lenses or new or used digital and I'll never buy personally buy any new or used digital Leica gear or new lenses.

I primarily use Nikon and have been an NPS member for decades. Service has never been more than two weeks and free loaners are available whether bodies or lenses. Repairs carry a 20% discount as well. Everything about NPs and Canons CPS is to support the pro customer. There's no charge for Nikon NPS. It's obvious Nikon totally supports the pro base that built their company. They've never forgotten us. Leica on the other hand, nothing but abuse for every customer. Why people continue to buy Leica gear I don't know. I certainly won't.

Yeah X-ray, I understand. I've been an NPS member for years and with an office in my city. I get anything I need including a long term equipment evaluation now and then.
Repair time is usually days to a week, with a loner in 24 hrs if it's something not stocked in the office.

I used Leica film gear for years M4s, M2. A local repair guy was excellent, and a short drive across town. The only guy I knew who got really good service from NJ repair was Jim Marshall. He got royal treatment because of his fame. Jim would often call NJ for his friends in order to get major repairs done in a reasonable time. So, the problem is decades old. Many, who used M film bodies as their primary camera, had up to 6 bodies, to be assured 2-3 would be working. With digital gear and the complications of electronics, the problems with Leica repair have become a joke.
pkr

Back