GXR vs. X100

Local time
9:58 AM
Curious what people think about the comparitive value of the X100 vs. the Ricoh with 28mm module. I am aware that the Ricoh will theoretically be able to serve as a backup for M glass, down the road a few months.

I like good handling, and much has been said about the GXR's solid feel and useful controls. If the GXR/A12-28 combo is basically a big GRDIII with an APS-C sensor, that's good.

Who's got 'em?

I've owned and used both...however I'm blinded now by the X100 having the built in OVF/EVF. The GXR was good for its time, but now my way of thinking for APS-C cameras is pre-X100 and post-X100. The OVF / EVF and dedicated shutter speed knob / aperture ring is a game changer for me and I cannot go back to LCD based cameras with accessory EVFs.

If you can handle LCD / accessory EVF cams, the GXR is one of the best. Also, it could prove to be more versatile over time. IQ on both are great, but different. I prefer the X100 here too. Lenses on both are great. You can't go wrong either way, but the X100 fits my way of thinking / working better.

Thanks. X100 has been in the back of my head for weeks. I sold my M8 and am in the market for a backup digicam to the M9...have tried most compact systems. If it was in stock at Amazon today at a sane price I probably would have bought one.

I have the GXR and both aps units and they are both very good. Thing is, the cost of a GXR+28+evf actually is more (from B&H) than the x100 is. On the other hand, a GXR can actually be found in stock.

I have the GXR and both aps units and they are both very good. Thing is, the cost of a GXR+28+evf actually is more (from B&H) than the x100 is. On the other hand, a GXR can actually be found in stock.
One with the 28 @ f/3.5

Attachments

• R0011111.jpg
    R0011111.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Well...I spent the money on a v3 Summicron and a VC II meter. But I am still interested in this comparison, for future reference. Next windfall (god knows when that might be) I will revisit. I was kind of hoping an Oly Pen Pro might come down the pike soon but it looks like they're concentrating on tiny crap with no physical controls for their next few cameras.

Isn't lens of X100 eq. to 35mm FOV? How that compares to 28mm GXR? Sure, controls and VF of X100 can take over 28mm FOV of GXR, but still.

Even though with the X100 that's rather difficult.

What I mean is that I'm flexible. If I have only a 28mm to work with, I'll make it work. If I only have a 50mm with me, I'll make it work. I always go out with one lens on my camera.

I was kind of hoping an Oly Pen Pro might come down the pike soon but it looks like they're concentrating on tiny crap with no physical controls for their next few cameras.

Me too. But it's looking like that camera is a long way off. By the time it arrives who knows where the other manufacturers will be. The last rumour I read was mentioning a two year time frame.

Me too. But it's looking like that camera is a long way off. By the time it arrives who knows where the other manufacturers will be. The last rumour I read was mentioning a two year time frame.
Two years!? Olympus must not want to succeed very badly.

Back