Ha Giang, the far North of Vietnam

Beautiful work, and beautiful examples of the amazing soft light here. Can't wait to show some of my Vietnam photographs from my month here. I have tried very hard not to take 'touristy' photos and have often found myself photographing other tourists rather than locals and landscapes. The selfie phenomenon in particular, I've never seen so many selfie sticks in the hands of tourists, it's terrifying.

But I digress, stunningly soft, dreamy images. What Wouter is saying I do in some ways agree with however. I came to Vietnam vowing not to train my camera on street sellers or other people doing it tough, just to come away with a pretty photograph for my own gain. I have always felt this way in regards to the homeless etc, I will never photograph them for my benefit without having first had some sort of real world connection with them, or asking their permission.

I'm not at all saying this is you, or even that I'm seeing this in your work because I'm not. I'm speaking purely about my own experiences here. I have often raised the camera to my eye, and then lowered it, realizing I am 'fish bowling', taking something from someone who has nothing, for my own benefit. An interesting discussion and I mean no disrespect to your beautiful images and as Wouter has also said this is not in regards to your work. Perhaps a discussion for somewhere else.

Please keep posting and I thank you again for all your help with my finding film and processing here!

And if I may ask, are these colour images you have posted processed at the labs you recommended to me?

What you just commented made me re-read the older comments from my very first posts in this thread.
What I really LOVE about RFF is that people with different backgrounds of social, culture, perspective are very actively speak out their thoughts. Appreciated all critics and comments.
Like what Mr. Andreas (aka kuan) have said, he saw the changes in the community for the last 5 years through my photos. I do confirm that the living standard of these people are better with the development of the whole country. Things always have two sides: the indigenous culture has faded somehow. Bad or good as I said is up to your perception.

p.s: recent color films were developed in x-lab, BUT I did my own scanning job using Nikon Coolscan 5000

Beautiful work, and beautiful examples of the amazing soft light here. Can't wait to show some of my Vietnam photographs from my month here. I have tried very hard not to take 'touristy' photos and have often found myself photographing other tourists rather than locals and landscapes. The selfie phenomenon in particular, I've never seen so many selfie sticks in the hands of tourists, it's terrifying.

But I digress, stunningly soft, dreamy images. What Wouter is saying I do in some ways agree with however. I came to Vietnam vowing not to train my camera on street sellers or other people doing it tough, just to come away with a pretty photograph for my own gain. I have always felt this way in regards to the homeless etc, I will never photograph them for my benefit without having first had some sort of real world connection with them, or asking their permission.

I'm not at all saying this is you, or even that I'm seeing this in your work because I'm not. I'm speaking purely about my own experiences here. I have often raised the camera to my eye, and then lowered it, realizing I am 'fish bowling', taking something from someone who has nothing, for my own benefit. An interesting discussion and I mean no disrespect to your beautiful images and as Wouter has also said this is not in regards to your work. Perhaps a discussion for somewhere else.

Please keep posting and I thank you again for all your help with my finding film and processing here!

What you just commented made me re-read the older comments from my very first posts in this thread.
What I really LOVE about RFF is that people with different backgrounds of social, culture, perspective are very actively speak out their thoughts. Appreciated all critics and comments.
Like what Mr. Andreas (aka kuan) have said, he saw the changes in the community for the last 5 years through my photos. I do confirm that the living standard of these people are better with the development of the whole country. Things always have two sides: the indigenous culture has faded somehow. Bad or good as I said is up to your perception.

p.s: recent color films were developed in x-lab, BUT I did my own scanning job using Nikon Coolscan 5000

Thank you sir and yes I'm sorry to dig up old comments - I hadn't seen this thread before! I just dropped a whole lot there today! (X-lab). Thank you for your recommendations!

thanks Tim to revive this thread
hopefully i can contribute some more photos after the trip (6th trip to be exact) to Ha Giang end of this month.

thanks Tim to revive this thread
hopefully i can contribute some more photos after the trip (6th trip to be exact) to Ha Giang end of this month.

You are welcome, Trung, look forward to seeing what you will capture this 7th time. I also look forward to going back there one day!

I was just in Ha Giang last month, I wish I had seen this thread before I went. Excellent photos, thanks for sharing

cheers, michael

Thanks everyone for stopping by
@Michael: if you don't mind, please share some photos of your recent trip here, you're welcome.

Thanks a lot kiemchacsu

Du Gia, Ha Giang
41508307125_12d05f7ed9_b.jpg
[/url]

Du Gia, Ha Giang

Du Gia, Ha Giang

Dong Van, Ha Giang

Ha Giang

Red Dao, Ha Giang

To be honest, I didn't shoot as much as I would have liked. I wish I had stopped more and explored deeper.

Thanks again for letting me share some photos.

cheers, michael

Thank you both; can we have some more please?

The people in them all look happy, I guess they don't have internet access...

Regards, David

Back