Had a scare with my R-D1S shutter. Should I be worried?

bluestar01

Local time
11:17 AM
Back in summer I was on a trip to the US, and of course I took my Epson, it is the best camera I have ever owned. So that is why, when I had a shutter scare whilst away, I have been terrified to use it ever since.
It's tough to remember exactly what/how it happened, not only since it was back in August, but also because I was so panicked on the fact my beloved R-D1S may be TOAST, that it is all quite a blur!

I think what happened is, I either went to trip the shutter or went to cock the shutter, and nothing happened - the shutter released pressed down, but nothing happened - and the advance lever was stuck. I seem to remember it having barely any travel at all. All the dials and things worked, just not the shutter/advance lever.
I can't remember, looking at the shutter itself at the time, if it was in the cocked or fired position (fired being the darker grey colour and cocked being the lighter silver with the shutter blades). I want to say it was un-cocked, and that is why it was especially scary, as I couldn't work out why it was un-cocked, yet wouldn't let me cock it.

I had seen various things online about shutter issues with the R-D1, all sorts of horror stories about them dying somewhere around like 4,000-6,000 actuations, articles from like 2007 of shutters ceasing up completely and needing to be sent back to Epson WHEN NOW NOBODY SERVICES R-D1s ANYMORE !! and I just thought sadly now was my time. My shutter count (I believe) is sat right around the low 8,000 mark as of now.

The only resource online I could remember at the time was this one, which has amazing info on the R-D1. I pulled this up when my shutter ceased and read about batteries. I have 1 original Epson battery that came with the camera that I use as backup, and my main two 3rd party NP-80 batteries from Amazon that seem pretty good quality. I remember not being worried about my battery quality/charge at the time, so I don't think they were the problem. I definitely remember adjusting the shutter speed dial which did not fix the issue. I bashed the camera against a carpeted floor a few times, which didn't immediately fix the issue.
After a while (like 10, 15 mins of messing with it) eventually it just started working again. I cannot say what fixed it, as I don't think I did anything right at the moment it worked, it just sprung to life again.

I have not had an issue with it since. Although, I have not been shooting much these last few months anyways, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared to use it in fear of this happening again or it totally dying on me..! My R-D1S has been the best camera I have ever owned, the way it inspires me to shoot. They are both too expensive and WAY too rare for me to get my hands on another one if mine ever dies.

What do you guys think about this situation? Would you be concerned? Was it likely a one-off event to humble me about how much I cherish this camera? Are there even any places that service R-D1s anymore (I am UK based, but I would send this across the world if I had to)?

Us old things are slow sometimes. The only trouble I've had with my several Epsons is much like you describe but was a battery issue, the meter will show just a quarter charge left in my case and the shutter gets cranky. Your case might have been battery and the time it was down might have let the battery recover enough to get going again. None the less I would think a trip to the camera repair for a tune-up would be a good idea.

What temperature was it when this happened?
Had it been a while since the camera had been used?
If you flew- was it in baggage or carry-on?
Was the battery fully charged?

The shutter is electro-mechanical, the wind mechanism is mechanical. Mechanical items like to be used. Many older film cameras have shutters that need to be exercised, just like people.

Back