Hanoi viewed through Leica M

tw8voJC.jpg

RdYvUFT.jpg

JfXb28g.jpg

first evening on the Hanoi streets was scary, then someone teached me how to jaywalk, and from this point it was somewhat addictive.

cEf1XSA.jpg
From people who’ve been there (I have not been), I was told “don’t look, just go“ - because traffic expects that - that if you instead wait, look, hesitate, that’s when you (tourists) get hit.

Is Hanoi ever foggy? Is it hazy or smoky sometimes? I remember seeing on TV the Kim Jong Un / Trump 2019 Summit in Hanoi and the TV broadcast, looking at distant buildings across a park and lake (?), had such a beautiful hazy view. It was absolutely idyllic.

From people who’ve been there (I have not been), I was told “don’t look, just go“ - because traffic expects that - that if you instead wait, look, hesitate, that’s when you (tourists) get hit.

Is Hanoi ever foggy? Is it hazy or smoky sometimes? I remember seeing on TV the Kim Jong Un / Trump 2019 Summit in Hanoi and the TV broadcast, looking at distant buildings across a park and lake (?), had such a beautiful hazy view. It was absolutely idyllic.
yes sir, slowly but steady. except cars can hit you anyway.

hazy it is, the most beautiful sunlight in Hanoi I experienced on the very first day around 15:00 late november, on my way to hotel from airport, sitting in a cab in heavy traffic... but before sunset it was also very nice:

6YzmgJP.jpg

DRY12Fh.jpg

rUwxgce.jpg

around and a view from Long Biên Bridge.

Crossing the street; sure slow and steady, keeping in mind that Vietnam has one of the highest traffic accident rates in the world. I know many native Saigonese who have been hurt in accidents and the increasing number of cars on the road does not help, especially when drivers have few driving skills.

I like the pineapple shot. For those with an interest in language, the Vietnamese 'ga' for railway station in the third photograph derives from the French 'gare'. Cheers, OtL

This was from a day trip we did and I don’t recall the name of the village. I only had b/w film but wanted it in color so the iPhone did its thing.IMG_3013.jpeg

This was from a day trip we did and I don’t recall the name of the village. I only had b/w film but wanted it in color so the iPhone did its thing.
Looks like the Ancient Capital near Ninh Bình. You got on a boat like on your first BW picture and meander thru those lovely karst mountains?

Thanks mate; such an effective shooting session. really like the atmosphere of early morning (5Am) market.
Thats a great feeling, to have lots of good pictures on the roll before morning coffee.
Please share more, those kinda unique places only local people can find and I envy you.

Back