Has Anyone Seen This Before? X-Pro2 Sensor Corrosion?

Steve_Pfost

Established
Local time
7:12 PM
IMG_7595.JPGIMG_7594.JPGIMG_7593.JPG

I just recently noticed this. I'm not sure how long it's been there, not sure what it is from. It almost looks like some sort of corosion around the sensor. I haven't noticed any image quality loss but now I'm a bit worried. I wrote Fuji but haven't heard anything in return, my next step is to send it out for an inspection. I figured I would see if anyone on here has seen or dealt with this issue in the past.

No, haven’t seen it before. Luckily a Fuji is not an M9. Have you tried to clean it or is beneath a covering glass?

It looks like it's below the glass, haven't tried to clean it. I try not to touch sensors. When looked at at an angle it looks like that black strip with the bubbles is actually a bit bowed out. It's quite strange.

If you change lenses you gotta clean sensors. Most local camera stores have someone who knows how. It's a pretty simple procedure and with sensor swabs and the correct solvent it's really pretty bullet proof. Google "sensor cleaning" for instructions.

Steve

If you are referring to the blemish on the black shroud at bottom and the associated blemish on sensor glass right behind it, that looks to me like it is due to lens burn-in. Strong light entering camera through lens for extended periods of time at same spot. Kind of like magnifying glass in the sun.

Steve

If you are referring to the blemish on the black shroud at bottom and the associated blemish on sensor glass right behind it, that looks to me like it is due to lens burn-in. Strong light entering camera through lens for extended periods of time at same spot. Kind of like magnifying glass in the sun.
Most likely this. I had it happen on an XT2 that sat in the sun without the lens cap. Confirmed by Fujifilm Tokyo service center. Thankfully didn’t affect image quality.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 9
I would be lying if I said I always kept a lens cap on when not in use. Since new (2016) it winds up on my desk, in my car passenger seat, on shelves, etc. when I get home, most times without a cap. Interesting. I did, however, religiously keep caps on with my old rangefinders to prevent curtain pin holes. I just am much more lax with my newer cameras. I actually questioned the same concept of, I suppose, a sensor burn never thought something like that could happen to a modern camera. It doesn't seem to be affecting image quality on my end either. I sent it to Fuji to see their take and if it needed to be repaired pending cost.

Makes me wonder if I should worry about my X100v, even though the leaf shutter seems to protect the sensor. I'm just as lax with that. Oh the anxiety! lol

I've seen photos somewhere of an actual sensor that had been burned like a rangefinder shutter curtain.

...it wasn't pretty.

Needless to say, my X-Pro 2 has a lens cap on whenever I'm not using it as a result!

I never use lens caps on my Fuji cameras but am careful to not store them in sunlight and certainly never pointed at the sun

Back