Hasselblad 500CM -- Slow Mirror

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
8:33 PM
I anticipate the answer I'll receive is, Get the camera serviced! But I wanted to see whether this might be something I can adjust myself.

I have a 500CM that has a slow mirror, meaning that when the shutter is tripped, it swings rather slowly up and out of the way, rather than instantly, as it should. As a result, there is a distinct (1/3 second maybe) lag between when the shutter closes and when it reopens to make the exposure, no doubt as a result of the delay in the mirror reaching lockup position. The lens's shutter itself works fine; it's just that the exposure is a distinct two-part process. Yes, the camera has not been fired in quite some time, but except for this delay it seems to be fine.

It being a Hasselblad, I am keenly aware I can really mess things up if I'm not careful. But maybe there is something low-risk I can try? Thanks.

Though I'm without any real knowledge of a Hassie's innards, there is no timing mechanism on the mirror, i.e. it is either up or down. Sounds like gummy lubricants slowing down the movement. Exercising the camera might loosen things up, but the problem would probably return. Yes, "Get the camera serviced!". Too nice a camera not to give it proper TLC.

The repair manual and other good info is available at this site; https://learncamerarepair.com/productlist.php?category=2&secondary=5
But, as others have said, the simple, low-risk approach would be sending it to someone who has the tools and knowledge. David Odess is certainly one resource, though expensive. Zacks Camera is good, and I’ve heard that Samy’s in L.A. has a good Hasselblad tech.

Back