Hasselblad C Lens EV Lock: Love or Hate

Just like having it on various Rolleiflex models over the years, EV-locked aperture and shutter setting is both a convenience and a PITA at various times and circumstances. Whichever way the camera or lens I'm currently using is configured, I adapt to the configuration and don't think about it for even a fraction of a second after the first minute I use the camera.

There are far more important things to debate IMO. I would put a third item in the poll ... "Don't care."

G

I wouldn't go so far as to remove it -- that seems rather drastic. So I didn't vote. Like Godfrey, these can be a PITA, but on some cameras/lenses more than others. It is a large PITA on the Hasselblad C lenses though, because changing settings is fiddly. The Contaflexes are another camera where this is a hassle. Not so with the Rolleiflex/cord, for instance.

Although I voted it as being a time-waster, I wouldn’t want it removed - I like keeping things original.

The CF lenses do it the right way: the aperture and shutter speed rings are independent, but can be locked temporarily by pressing a button.

I never use it maybe because I don’t meter by EV readings so the feature is just in the way.

I only have one C lens, and I use it adapted to my Pentax 645n, so, while not particularly useful, the ev lock doesn’t really bother me.

I would put a third item in the poll ... "Don't care."

G

This.

I have EV locked lenses with the 80mm Planar, 38mm Biogon and on the Rollei 2.8D.

I don’t love it, but I never think about it enough to hate it. With a couple of rolls of use the mechanism just becomes muscle memory and fades into the shooting background.

I never use it maybe because I don’t meter by EV readings so the feature is just in the way.

When I'm using a lens with the coupling lock, I switch my light meter into EV mode. It becomes very easy to make settings and choose an aperture/time pair this way.

G

I seem to like the EV lock, as well as the engraved numbers on C lenses. But I like the CF lenses for the improved Prontor shutters.

I like EV lock. Used it on my CF lenses in the past. Use it on my Vb with the Luna Pro SBC meter.

The question is not really “do you like EV lock or not”, but rather do you like the way it’s implemented on Hasselblad’s older Carl Zeiss C lenses. In particular, on those lenses, the locking of aperture and shutter speed rings is the default. To change aperture or shutter speed independently of the other then requires you to pull back the tab and adjust one of the rings.

On the CF lenses, the default is to have the lock off, but you can then push a button to get both rings to turn and stay at the same EV. In my opinion, this latter method is much more convenient.

A few other German cameras, such as the Voigtländer Bessamatic, have this same default-locked-EV on their lenses. On the Rolleiflex, at least on my 2.8D, I can choose whether to lock or not by pressing-in and turning the dial. So, best of both worlds there.

The question is not really “do you like EV lock or not”, but rather do you like the way it’s implemented on Hasselblad’s older Carl Zeiss C lenses. In particular, on those lenses, the locking of aperture and shutter speed rings is the default. To change aperture or shutter speed independently of the other then requires you to pull back the tab and adjust one of the rings.

On the CF lenses, the default is to have the lock off, but you can then push a button to get both rings to turn and stay at the same EV. In my opinion, this latter method is much more convenient.

A few other German cameras, such as the Voigtländer Bessamatic, have this same default-locked-EV on their lenses. On the Rolleiflex, at least on my 2.8D, I can choose whether to lock or not by pressing-in and turning the dial. So, best of both worlds there.

I think this is a good refinement of the original question. And now that this has been said, I'll say that it's probably more efficient on the newer lenses, e.g. CF and beyond, for the default to be in the unlocked state. That's because when metering a new scene, we don't have the right exposure setting until we consult our meters. Once we have done that, it makes more sense to lock in the exposure.

You're right. My mistake in my response above.

I did originally have a C lens (80mm) on my first used 'Blad and don't recall an issue with the EV lock per se, rather; I was not enjoying the lens because it was so stiff to focus and in need of a CLA. If I recall correctly, the lens lightly *squeaked* as I adjusted the red DoF marker indicators :)

I traded it in and ended up with a new 'Blad rig w/CF lenses later on (kinda miss it but traded for an M6 35 'Cron which I still have).

I have two C lenses, and one CF.
I neither love it, nor hate it. Sometimes I like the lock, sometimes it’s fiddly and in the way. It all depends on the specific situation. If anything were possible I’d probably opt for a mod so that the C lens operates like the CF.

I think the EV lock is an aid to making rapid depth of field changes in a series of shots. The whole interface of the C lens with the mechanical moving depth of field indicators is very good design as far as I'm concerned. Blessed be the old Blad team.
John Mc

I have several CF ( lenses) on my 203fe body. EV locking is nothing to do with this camera and I even don't bother about this EV or DTF locking. I did voted for the poll as the second but should have been a third as "It doesn't concern my shooting so I don't care" .

Back