Hasselblad in Space.

As I recall, they left the Hasselblad body on the moon, to save weight, and returned with only the backs. I'll bet that if you dusted it off, it would still be working fine.
Great article and photos; thanks for the link!

As I recall, they left the Hasselblad body on the moon, to save weight, and returned with only the backs. I'll bet that if you dusted it off, it would still be working fine.

I purchased my first Hasselblad 500CM because of NASA’s use and trust of the system. My late Father was gobsmacked when he saw the images I was printing from it. Hasselblad said their camera body’s left on the moon were free for anyone who wanted them and they guaranteed they would work as new.
Still got the first one and two more since then……

As a boy growing up in the 60's, it was a wondrous time. I occasionally watch TV re-broadcasts on YouTube of the Apollo space flights to relive that era.

NASA's Artemis 1 mission is set for lift-off this Monday.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla — NASA's Artemis 1 mission will open a new era of U.S. space exploration when it launches to the moon this month, but exactly when it lifts off depends on several factors.

Artemis 1, the first uncrewed test flight of NASA's Artemis program to return astronauts to the moon, is currently scheduled to lift off from Pad 39B of the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral on Monday (Aug. 29). Liftoff is currently scheduled for 8:33 a.m. EDT (1233 GMT), weather permitting. You can watch the launch live on online on Monday starting at 6:30 a.m. EDT (1030 GMT), courtesy of NASA TV.

https://www.space.com/artemis-1-sls-...unch-what-time

Thanks for the article. Excellent images!

They brought a couple back from lunar EVA. One malfunctioned, (14 from memory but that may be wrong) so it was decided to return it to Earth for examination.

Eugene Cernan's CDR EDC was also brought back to Earth. Cernan and Schmitt decided to retain it because they wished to photograph CMP Ron Evans' mid return EVA to collect film magazines from the equipment bay in the SM. Their reasoning being none of the CM Hasselblads were EVA certified; unlike those carried aboard the LM. NASA seemed to either forget or were unaware of that, but US photographer Cole Rise noticed the outline of the Reseau Plate on an Apollo Hasselblad with CDR markings loaned to Omega a year or two ago. Comparing that with film magazine images made by Cernan, confirmed that perhaps the very last Hasselblad ever used on the Moon, came home...

Good article here with some superb images that I have never seen previously. In a Gemini space walk image there is a camera that I have never seen before ?
Otherwise a clear image of a SWC doing a space walk………

https://www.theguardian.com/science...issions-photographs-remastered-neil-armstrong

Hard to tell but it resembles a Contax rangefinder. According to this article it is in fact a Contax:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/features/the-cameras-of-the-apollo-moon-missions

White had a Zeiss Ikon Contarex Special minus viewfinder with Zeiss 50mm Planar f/2 lens attached to his manoeuvring unit. Remarkably standard even down to its leatherette, although the shutter dial and back removal keys were modified. One or two of McDivitt's excellent photos with a Hasselblad give a quite sharp view of it.

Back