Hawk Peng helicoid adapter is awesome

nex100, I expect that using some sort of "extension tube," for example Hawk's adapter, will alleviate colour shift problems whenever it is used to achieve closer focus. By moving the nodal point of the lens further from the image plane the acuteness of the angle at which light rays strike the sensor is diminished. I noticed this on my Nex-5; I had fewer colour shift problems with RF lenses when focusing on closer objects. Nettar

Well... I ordered an official Hawk's adapter from the MX Camera ebay store (they claim to be an official re-seller). When I clicked buy, there were more than 10 in stock. Yesterday I got an email saying they aren't actually in stock, and won't be till mid february... annoying. There's now a big red font notice to this effect in the description that wasn't there before. Seems like a ploy to keep people from buying one of the knock-offs till they get some in stock. Oh well... guess it'll be a while before I get mine.

There seems to be some knock-off (maybe) helicoid adapters surfacing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEICA-M-LM-M...ultDomain_0&hash=item19cc9d73e2#ht_3778wt_932

Anyone have any experience with these? They look identical (at least from the pics) to the Hawks... resellers or copycats?

Probably pulling the trigger on this one, the same guy also has a few auctions going on for them at a slight discount.

I'd be happy to put some comments up about it when it arrives. (Just shoot me a PM in 2-3 weeks if I forget).

Very nice to use

Very nice to use

Probably pulling the trigger on this one, the same guy also has a few auctions going on for them at a slight discount.

I'd be happy to put some comments up about it when it arrives. (Just shoot me a PM in 2-3 weeks if I forget).

Bought this one from Hong Kong. Arrived in just 2 weeks with registered mail. Nice and smooth focusing. Does not have the focusing knob though, but I don´t mind. Very nice combo with the 35mm and 28mm Perars. Super compact with close focusing possibilities.

I may be nuts but I actually got a NEX-7 because of this adapter - now who's with me? :)

I love the Leica lenses, and they cost me a bomb, and I always always wanted a closer focus so now this is perfect! The focus peaking and the built-in EVF on the NEX7 makes it my daily shooter now. :)

I got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leica-M...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item19d23c6514

I couldn't turn down $34.99, much though I wanted to reward Hawk for coming up with the idea. The adapter seems a little loose, in the sense that it sometimes backs off from being all the way back. I think I could put some thicker grease in there to slow it down?

Have only played so far with the 5n mounted with a 35 1.4 pre-Asph Titanium lens (that I got for a relatively good deal at a Camera shop in Krakow some years ago, when the only M-digital was the RD-1). Haven't printed anything yet, but the versatility of the little Sony is quite impressive, and when it is in focus, it is sharp! (omit grumbles about learning curve on zooming in, focus peaking, etc.)

Another plan is to use the cold shoe adapter to mount a 50mm view and make it a street shooter.

The focus on my hawk's adapter is VERY loose. I wish there was a way to lock it in the infinity position. I have missed quite a few shots due to the helical not staying in the infinity focus position.

Back