HCB exhibit at the ICP in New York

And Stephen Shore in May. Thanks for the HU, Peter. I will be going too.

Stephen Shore should be awesome. I bought his book last year. When I heard his exhibit was going to be in Chicago the same weak I was leaving there I was disappointed. But now that he's coming to New York. All is well.

The HCB exhibit should be good. I plain forgot about it. Even though I passed by there last week wondering when they were going to reopen. Truth be told. I never really did care for HCB's work. It's good but, it just never struck me. But regardless, it's a must see.

Bump.

Maybe the members in NY want to make an RFF meet from this?

Aren't assemblies of more than five people viewed with suspicion by the NYPD and Homeland Security now?

Wish I could go to that show.

ray_g said:
Bump.

Maybe the members in NY want to make an RFF meet from this?

I went today. It was really good stuff. Leica was mentioned twice. The book of the exhibit is $85. I want it. But not that much.

swoop said:
I went today. It was really good stuff. Leica was mentioned twice. The book of the exhibit is $85. I want it. But not that much.

Amazon has it for $53.

How big were the prints on exhibit?

merciful said:
Aren't assemblies of more than five people viewed with suspicion by the NYPD and Homeland Security now?

He's kidding, girls. I was there over New Year's Eve weekend, and I hardly got cudgelled at all.

Subway's full of cops and army reserve call-outs, though. Stick to the taxicabs.

Wish I could go to that show.

Yeah. No kidding.

(Thinks wistfully of the Greyhound bus station...)

peter_n said:
The exhibit Scrapbook is over from the Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson in Paris and opened at the ICP in New York City last Friday. It is open until April 29. I am definitely going to see this! See the link below for details.

http://www.icp.org/site/c.dnJGKJNsFqG/b.2189209/k.68AB/Henri_CartierBresson.htm

dspeltz vbmenu_register("postmenu_471390", true);
RFF Sponsoring Member.
threestars2.gif

My office is across the street from ICP and I just spent an hour in there. There are 300 HCB photos, most 4x5 inches with not much light. Some are larger. It is a wonderful exhibit but very hard work and will require a few re-visits. There is also a film he did discussing his photographs. With humility, he talks about the decisive moment and with perserverance he is there at the right moment. He also talks about the ones he lost because the decisive moment was after he clicked and did not have time to rewind. The film may be available sometime later this year. If interested, the Scrapbook is for sale for $80 and is an easier way to see the exhibition (better light, get closer). In a not-so-good-Bresson fashion I took a photo of ICP out of my office window (attached). The website for ICP (and Scrapbook) is icp.org.
Attached

Thumbnails

The Scrapbook is out of stock at Amazon USA (in fact it is due for printing in March 2007 [?]) but available from Amazon UK for the very reasonable price of £29.70. I ordered one a couple of days ago to look at before I see the exhibit.

I mentioned this exhibit about a week back in another thread. And, yes, it would be mad-cool to meet up with a few other "area" RFf folk.

FYI/Trivia Dept.: ICP's exhibit space was formerly occupied by Eastman Kodak as exhibition space (their offices were in the adjacent building as well, until the mid-to-late 80s, if I'm not mistaken).

- Barrett

Last edited:
peter_n said:
The Scrapbook is out of stock at Amazon USA (in fact it is due for printing in March 2007 [?]) but available from Amazon UK for the very reasonable price of £29.70. I ordered one a couple of days ago to look at before I see the exhibit.

It said "In Stock" Peter, and I ordered one. The notice I received said it will ship on Monday. I'm curious about the printing date, too. Let's see if it comes next week.

Hmmm. When I ordered one from Amazon it came up with a warning on the web page that there was no stock. That was Monday or Tuesday of this week. So then I went to Amazon UK and ordered the book and also found out that they had found a rugby book for me that is discontinued. So I have some good reading coming up... :D

The book arrived today. I was surprised it came so quickly. Bigger and heavier than I thought. I just glossed over it, and it looks like it will make for hours of good reading. The photos are nicely reproduced, in sizes identical to the original, they say. Thanks again for the HU on the exhibit, Peter.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to head over next time I'm in the city. I also just ordered Scrapbook from amazon uk, thanks for spotting that. I didn't know they had reprinted it. It's been a big week for photography books for me. I grabbed Larry Fink's Runway and there's an enormous gorgeous fashion photog put out by Dolce & Gabbana that will be inbound too.

But HCB is a huge influence on me. Some of his shots make my heart hurt they're so perfect. Off the top of my head there's that Giacometti in the rain shot, a portrait of Martine Franck, and a portrait of capote that are just amazing.

morgan said:
Some of his shots make my heart hurt they're so perfect. Off the top of my head there's that Giacometti in the rain shot...

Heh. A dollar postcard of that's been tacked to my kitchen cork-board since the dawn of recorded time.

Back