HCB's Duck Pictures?

Sorry Bruce, and raydm6: just a bit of irony. There are debates, even arguments, that go on for pages here sometimes. This one resolved it seems with an original reference on page 1. A surprise. Not what we usually see, that's all.

No offense taken. It's an interesting twist into HCB's past.

Oh, no, I was hoping no one would notice mine is actually a goose, haha.

But seriously, my photo was taken on my very first outing with the Summitar and while I didn't have any thoughts of HCB at the time, I took it as a way of testing the lens for things like accuracy of rangefinder focus, contrast, flare resistance and overall rendering.

A group of ducks (or geese) would be great for checking selective focus and curvature of field. Might be handy to see how focus and recompose works too. For someone doing hyperfocal work, like HCB, they'd be great for practice.

Oh, no, I was hoping no one would notice mine is actually a goose, haha.

But seriously, my photo was taken on my very first outing with the Summitar and while I didn't have any thoughts of HCB at the time, I took it as a way of testing the lens for things like accuracy of rangefinder focus, contrast, flare resistance and overall rendering.

A group of ducks (or geese) would be great for checking selective focus and curvature of field. Might be handy to see how focus and recompose works too. For someone doing hyperfocal work, like HCB, they'd be great for practice.

With more of an angle a grouping like this would be handy for focus checking.

Tack To Starboard by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Now this is getting more like the old RFF. Do duck feathers have unique reflective properties that could test for Leica glow? Or is it the pond itself and its reflections, more than the ducks, that HCB was exploring?

Most of the ponds around here have silted over due to all the construction, so I'd have to travel a bit to get to a duck pond, but that sounds like a wonderful tradition. There is a house I used to photograph as part of a lens test, but I figured one day someone would call the cops on me for taking so many photos of it, so I gave up on that.

PF

There is a house here in town I use that way. The first time I went there to test a series of lenses I knocked on the owner's door. I explained I was a dotty old geezer with a camera and would be testing some lenses by taking photos of her home. She was an affable sort and said that it was fine. I learned this from a young Dane on YT. He asks, "I am a photographer. I take photographs. May I have a photograph of you?" I have done this, too, with folks in town and it works well. The subject usually relaxes some and is less suspicious. This works if there is time. Otherwise, shoot first and ask questions later. ;o)

Alderbrook Housee.jpg

from: https://shooterfiles.com/2015/04/mas...rtier-bresson/

I have never heard of this. Is this true? Did he mention this somewhere in an article or book?

I wouldn't mind seeing some HCB lens test duck pictures. :)

I also remember that HCB wore his left sock on his right foot. I don't know where I read that, but am pretty sure that it is true, at least some of the time. It even could have been part of his regime when testing new lenses down at the duck pond. Maybe I'll set up an authoritative webpage on HCB's socks.

Really, how do you guys function with your brains cluttered up with all of this stuff.

When I was aged about 10, 67 years ago our school went on a trip to London to visit a couple of educational centres. We walked to the Serpentine - a lake in Hyde Park - to see the statue of Peter Pan for our picnic lunch. I wandered to lakeside to watch a gentleman taking photographs of ducks with what I know to be a Leica screw fit . I was so enamoured by the camera - and the man who was soberly dressed in suit, trilby hat and al little leather bag on his shoulder. That memory has stayed with me so clearly. I first got use Leica screw fit during the 60s at art college where I was a studio assistant A wonderful 111g with 20mm ? as well as a visoflex used to make Kodachrome slides of works and for lectures. From that day in Hyde park I have always wanted Leica cameras. I now have 5 M s Maybe, just maybe Henri on that day was giving his new lens a test ?? filedata/fetch?filedataid=118063
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I also remember that HCB wore his left sock on his right foot. I don't know where I read that, but am pretty sure that it is true, at least some of the time. It even could have been part of his regime when testing new lenses down at the duck pond. Maybe I'll set up an authoritative webpage on HCB's socks.

Really, how do you guys function with your brains cluttered up with all of this stuff.

I've never seen socks that come in a pair, left and right. Maybe there was such a thing in HCB's time. If so, I want to see an authoritative reference! This sort of confusion and obfuscation is inexcusable.

Back