Washington (state) HellooooooOOOOOOOooooo!

Hello back at ya! There's a bunch of us in the general area, though maybe not always within earshot of Queen Anne Hill. :)

Did you make it to the PSPCS camera show in Puyallup?

I live in Seattle - at least very close

I live in Seattle - at least very close

Cool to find a local bunch. I like to shoot in the U-District, and along the 2. Eastern Washington, like around the Gorge in George is also great.

kiev4a said:
I'll be passing through Seattle in mid June on the way to Forks, WA
As a former north Olympic Peninsula resident: Remember, people from Forks don't tan ........ they RUST! :p
But, it sure is beautiful there.

tekgypsy,
I like your "by-line". I used to make my living, outside of Sequim, as an Explosives Technician.
It's quite true ~ ; - )

maybe we should plan a trip up to Mt. Baker and get some sunset shots of Mt. Shuksan off of Picture Lake...

or maybe out to the San Juans or Victoria

themirana said:
Cool to find a local bunch. I like to shoot in the U-District, and along the 2. Eastern Washington, like around the Gorge in George is also great.
Agreed, but what's "along the 2."?

US Army (82nd Airborne 1972 - 1974) grunt
USMC (1975 - 1981) 0849 Shore Fire Control Party (Naval Gunfire/Airstrikes)

yeah... whoever said violence never solved anything never fired the Missouri or called in an Intruder with a full load of snake.

tekgypsy said:
US Army (82nd Airborne 1972 - 1974) grunt
USMC (1975 - 1981) 0849 Shore Fire Control Party (Naval Gunfire/Airstrikes)

yeah... whoever said violence never solved anything never fired the Missouri or called in an Intruder with a full load of snake.

USMC (1979-1985) 5811 Military Police (1stMarDiv, 3rd FSSG, etc). E-5 Sgt, one each, green in color.

I was on the honor guard for the recomissioning ceremony of the USS New Jersey on 28 December, 1982 in Long Beach, CA. Wow, is all I can say. Whatta lotta boat! She had been in mothballs since 1969, and still had posters and pinups all over the bulkheads and inside lockers, etc. The Navy brought back a bunch of retired and former sailors and put them back in uniform - whatever semblance of uniforms they still had! Old grizzled WWII and Korean sailors who knew the ship inside and out, they headed up the retrofit. So weird to see a 70+ year old guy in a US Navy uniform wearing a Chief's stripes with a huge beer gut and a beard down to his belly button like ZZ Top. And those guys knew what was what, too. They got that ship up to speed in nothing flat and taught the kids how to run that monster boat.

The modernized the entire ship - except for the 16-inch guns. Those monsters had mechanical computers to work out firing solutions - and they were considered to still be 'state of the art' in terms of accuracy - they could fire a volkswagen 20 miles inland and hit a 10 meter target - no need to modernize that!

Semper Fi,

Bill Mattocks

Hey, I'm up for something on the "cool" side, but I shy away from the eastside in summer.
I spent enough time in the desert, thank you
~ ; - )

who needs accuracy?

who needs accuracy?

when you fire nine (9) 2200 pound projectiles each with a blast radius of 500 meters who cares if you can actually hit a 10 meter target.... all ya gotta do is get in the same grid square

8531 marksmanship instructor
9962 military parachutist
0341 infantry (mortars)
0849 shore fire control party

and semper fi back at ya
(2/4,1/9,3/11,3/12,MCRD PI)

bmattock said:
USMC (1979-1985) 5811 Military Police (1stMarDiv, 3rd FSSG, etc). E-5 Sgt, one each, green in color.

I was on the honor guard for the recomissioning ceremony of the USS New Jersey on 28 December, 1982 in Long Beach, CA. Wow, is all I can say. Whatta lotta boat! She had been in mothballs since 1969, and still had posters and pinups all over the bulkheads and inside lockers, etc. The Navy brought back a bunch of retired and former sailors and put them back in uniform - whatever semblance of uniforms they still had! Old grizzled WWII and Korean sailors who knew the ship inside and out, they headed up the retrofit. So weird to see a 70+ year old guy in a US Navy uniform wearing a Chief's stripes with a huge beer gut and a beard down to his belly button like ZZ Top. And those guys knew what was what, too. They got that ship up to speed in nothing flat and taught the kids how to run that monster boat.

The modernized the entire ship - except for the 16-inch guns. Those monsters had mechanical computers to work out firing solutions - and they were considered to still be 'state of the art' in terms of accuracy - they could fire a volkswagen 20 miles inland and hit a 10 meter target - no need to modernize that!

Semper Fi,

Bill Mattocks

tekgypsy said:
when you fire nine (9) 2200 pound projectiles each with a blast radius of 500 meters who cares if you can actually hit a 10 meter target.... all ya gotta do is get in the same grid square

8531 marksmanship instructor
9962 military parachutist
0341 infantry (mortars)
0849 shore fire control party

and semper fi back at ya
(2/4,1/9,3/11,3/12,MCRD PI)

Gun Bunnies and Cannon Cockers! How's your hearing?

Provost Marshal's Office, MCB, Camp Butler, Okinawa, Japan
MPCo, HQBn, 1stMarDiv, Camp Pendleton, CA
MP Det, 7th MAB, HMNAS Stirling, Garden Island, Western Australia
MCRD, SDiego

& Combined Arms Exercises to Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, MCAGCC Twenty-Nine Palms, MCAGCC Pickle Meadows, Camp LeJeune, Camp Johnson, Quantico, and Camp Upshur.

Big Green Weenies Downrange!

Semper Fi,

Bill Mattocks

bmattock said:
Gun Bunnies and Cannon Cockers! How's your hearing?

Provost Marshal's Office, MCB, Camp Butler, Okinawa, Japan
MPCo, HQBn, 1stMarDiv, Camp Pendleton, CA
MP Det, 7th MAB, HMNAS Stirling, Garden Island, Western Australia
MCRD, SDiego

& Combined Arms Exercises to Fort Lewis, Fort Hood, MCAGCC Twenty-Nine Palms, MCAGCC Pickle Meadows, Camp LeJeune, Camp Johnson, Quantico, and Camp Upshur.

Big Green Weenies Downrange!

Semper Fi,

Bill Mattocks

won't go into the trivia.... hearing aids in both ears.... i managed to combine the "big three" (small arms, artillery, aircraft) into one career (match carefully... marksmanship instructor, naval gangbang, paratrooper)

then i got hit by an airplane... 60% disability (i don't get around like i used to)

but i aint dead damnit!

we should quit boring the others here and take this offline

howdy... i am usually in Bell Town or Seattle Center or Pioneer Square with *some* kind of camera...

Bessa R, Oly Stylus Epic, Canon S70, Minolta Maxxum 5, Nikon 8800

talking with friends about a foto safari some evening.... you up to it?

Sure, what the heck! Send me a PM ahead of time and let's shoot up the city. I do a backwards commute to everett every day, so if you wanna do highway 2 in the evening, that's not an unfeasible option, either.

Take care!

Back