Help! Can't get lens back together!

justins7

Well-known
Local time
11:58 AM
I am trying to re-lubricate my Voigtlander 40mm lens. I merely removed the rear, chrome ring, but it seems IMPOSSIBLE to get back on. This part does NOT want to screw back onto the threaded brass part.

I had it in at one point, but it was not screwed in to the right spot, and the focusing would not budge. So I removed it and now cannot for the life of me get this ring back on. It is SO FRUSTRATING!

Please help!

You need to try and avoid force the tolerances are so tight that you will get a jam, 1/2 a bottle of bud, wait 15 mins and then do it like a fencing master or jo de magio, relaxed wrists all the time in the world to hit the ball out of the ground...

Noel

You need to be patient and relaxed...

don't force it... you might cross-thread it :eek:

slowly try to find the start of the thread....

buy a couple of FSU lenses to practice on...

PS: if everything else fails - send it to me ;)

I still can't get it back on!

I still can't get it back on!

I don't know what happened. I still can't get it back on. I showed it to a handy electrician friend of mine and we just can't do it. There appears to be no cross-threading (the brass threads are really hard) and nothing preventing it from getting back in.

THis really sucks. I may have to bring it somewhere to be serviced!

:bang:

If you have had it back together wrong once it’s almost certainly cross-threaded, the free-cutting brass, and the other metals used for that matter, are very easily damaged. A technician may be able to save it.

Unlikely that you have damaged it the new ones are really close tolerance and need real patence, try a whole bottle of bud and waiting 1/2 an hour, dont try force.

Noel

I had this experience too when I took my bayonet ring off to file it to bring up 35mm framelines instead of 50. You haven't cross threaded it. This also happened to me where you get it back on but the focus is wrong. It will go right eventually. Leave it a while and then go back to it and adjust the focus before you screw it all the way back on. Good luck

If you are in boston come by and i'll help..
Get a strong table lamp, preferebly a 'bankers lamp' or some other high intensity light, don some close up reading specs, even cheapies from the drug store , the stare at the threads closely for a while. Once your brain forms an internal model of how it will go together, your hands will execute.
Just don't get angry.. it is essential on any camera repair that one be able to safely put it down and get away from it for several hours or even a day.

Look at the start thread on both the male and female parts, if either one has the high part dinged into the ajacent valley, it won't start. Not hard to fix, just drag something steel backwards against the dinged thread to clear the valley, like a knife blade..

Nigel Meaby said:
I had this experience too when I took my bayonet ring off to file it to bring up 35mm framelines instead of 50. You haven't cross threaded it. This also happened to me where you get it back on but the focus is wrong. It will go right eventually. Leave it a while and then go back to it and adjust the focus before you screw it all the way back on. Good luck

Old thread, and apologies, but how does one adjust focus on the 40mm?

Mine is brand new, and focuses fairly far beyond anything the rangefinder on the M8 says.

The 75mm and 21mm are as perfect as I can see, so it's an obvious lens issue. I'd like to shim it out the width of a piece of paper, but I'm not going to void the warranty without instructions!

Must be absolutely calm. The helicals can feel the tension.

Here is another warning - don't "try too hard", you may raise a burr on the start of the thread and ruin it more.

Good luck

Vick

I'm not sure which parts the lens falls apart in, but if you could heat up the part with the inner thread and/or cool down the part with the outside thread, things may fit better...
Note: it's just a wild idea, only tried it once to remove a lens element from a thight fitting ring, by puttig it in hot tap water for a while.

Groeten,
Vic

Lubrication failed

Lubrication failed

I am not sure if you saw my other thread about this, but just by removing the rear ring I may have ruined the mount. Sherry Krauter of Golden Touch is attempting to now fix it, but it has so far been impossible to get back on.

Be careful!

Back