Australia/New Zealand HELP! Leica M3 view finder separation repair in Australia

fish1991222

Established
Local time
5:37 PM
Hi Rangeroos,

How are you guys? Recently I won a bin on a M3 body with a reasonable price (less than 800 AUD) on ebay.
The body was CLA few years ago so the mechanisms are all good. The only thing is there are dark patterns shown on the edges when you look through the viewfinder. Currently it's not affecting the composing and focusing mostly. However I looked up online (mainly in this forum) and discovered this issue is probably caused by the separation of a pair of glasses in the viewfinder due to the degradation of organic glues used in early production of M3 (I am not sure if that's true but unfortunately my M3 has a SN lower than 1 million).
Anyway, even though some of the posts suggest there is no need to work on it as long as it doesn't affect a lot (I was thinking in that way at the very beginning as I am just looking forward to using that), some members and posts did mentioned that if let it go eventually it will have the complete separation and the whole viewfinder will dark out. In that case I would rather to fix the problem once for all.
There are some workshops in UK, US and Japan can do the re-cement job for the glasses but the cross-continent thing is kind of crazy regarding the good job of AusPost (they did lost few of my parcels during last few years, one of them contains a dozen exposed films sent for developing).
I actually contact Paul in Sydney camera repair but hasn't got his reply yet. He is slow on responding but he did do the great job according to my previous experience, hope I can have good news from him. Still, I would like to ask if any of us ever had this problem and somehow solve it in this country or happen to know who can do this job?

Regards from USYD

Fisher

Fish, the two Leica specific repair people I know of first-hand in Australia are Camera Clinic in Melbourne and Ernst of Camera Electronic in Perth. I'd give them a call first to see if they can do your kind of repair. I'm pretty sure Ernst can but I don't know about the spare parts situation.
Over the years, other Aus RFF members have posted about other service chaps in our wide brown land, notably in Brisbane and Melbourne. Perhaps they will chime in again.

Fish, the two Leica specific repair people I know of first-hand in Australia are Camera Clinic in Melbourne and Ernst of Camera Electronic in Perth. I'd give them a call first to see if they can do your kind of repair. I'm pretty sure Ernst can but I don't know about the spare parts situation.
Over the years, other Aus RFF members have posted about other service chaps in our wide brown land, notably in Brisbane and Melbourne. Perhaps they will chime in again.

Hi Peter,

That's very exciting news! It's very nice of you doing that, with many thanks!

Best
Fisher

Back