Help! Lost Epson ICC Profiles

JohnBeeching

Well-known
Local time
2:11 AM
Dear All,

I have “lost” the ICC profiles that I use when printing and cannot find them either on my computer or on the printer/paper manufacturer’s website or elsewhere.

Let me explain: I print from LightRoom (LrC) on an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 mostly on Epson Enhanced (Archival) Matte or Epson Velvet Fine Art papers from a Mac running Catalina. The ICC profiles which I used to use are: Epson Stylus Pro 3880_3885_3890 EnhancedMattePaper.icc or Epson Stylus Pro 3880_3885_3890 ArchivalMattePaper.icc; and Epson Stylus Pro 3880_3885_3890 VelvetFineArtPaper.icc. These appear to be no longer available from LrC and I cannot find them on the computer. Neither are they any longer available from the Epson website https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...201-VM?review-filter=macOS+10.12.x#iccprofile
Though they are still mentioned on this Epson page http://support2.epson.net/manuals/english/lfp/styluspro38803885/ug/html/trble_2.htm

I suspect that their disappearance from my computer may have something to do with upgrading from Mojave to Catalina. While their loss is not critical when printing black and white photos it is for colour ones. I would greatly appreciate any help with this frustrating problem.

Thanks,

John

Could the ICC profiles you are looking for simply have been renamed to conform to the new names Epson uses for the same old papers. You mentioned Epson Archival Matte which was renamed Epson Enhanced Matte about 15-18 years ago (its not archival) and is now known as Epson Premium Presentation Matte. Have you searched the Epson website for profiles using the current paper names?

Dear Bob,
Thanks for your advice. Yes, I am aware of name changes and here in the UK it is still sold as Epson Archival Matte. I have tried re-installing the driver from the Epson website which should come bundles with the ICC profiles, but it changes nothing. What I suspect has happened is that, when Epson made the driver for the 3880 Catalina-compatable, it did not update all the components from 32 to 64 bit, and hence the profiles do not install or are not available. This is frustrating and bad PR policy as there must be thousands of 3880 printers still being used and Epson is only too happy to sell users inks for them.

By the way, I admire your Cuban photos. I first visited in 1976 and have always found the people very friendly and hospitable. While there is much to criticise there is also much to admire.

John

John, thanks. You know one always has reservations about insulting someone's intelligence when you mention things like changing the names of papers. I agree it is strange those profiles are not available.

I would suggest trying a profile for some papers that are close in appearance. My experience is that the profiles are often so close that you cannot visually tell the difference. Or, that they are so close that either is acceptable.

Yes, Cuba is an intriguing place with its friendly sociable people. Living there part time in a small town with a Cuban wife, I see the best. I also see the worst of their economically disastrous situation. Interesting place to photograph as most Cubans want to pose so you must shoot fast to catch a spontaneous situation.

Dear Bob,
My problem is now resolved and I would like to pass on the “solution” so that others don’t have to waste days and exhaust their known expletives.

A suggestion I received from several was to uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it from the Epson website. I tried this several times but with no success – the driver installed OK but no ICC profiles came with it. I then discovered that if you install from here: https://epson.com/Support/Printers/.../s/SPT_CA61201-VM?review-filter=macOS+10.15.x you get v10.35 of the driver, which does not have the ICC profiles. However, if you install from this site: https://www.epson.co.uk/products/pr...rs/epson-stylus-pro-3880/Support-Downloads/15 you get v10.33, which does have the ICC profiles. So, for some obscure reason the latest version comes without the profiles. I am now up and running again, but still cursing Epson for several days of frustration.

Happy printing,

John

PS: My first trip was on a study tour from Mexico where I was living. I then returned in 2000 for a conference and developed various reseach collaborations. Speaking fluent Spanish makes all the difference.

Back