Help me find a film processor in the Phila area

ray*j*gun

Mentor
Local time
11:43 PM
So, I can't do my own processing (B&W) any more. There used to be a good lab in Phila on Arch St but I think they are gone now. I don't need volume work but would like quality and I can scan my own. I also like to shoot an occasional roll of slide film. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Maybe Indie photo up in Fishtown.
Photo Lounge might have ok processing but they have a reasonably high employee turnover (I was one back in 2011). I installed one of their AGFA D-Lab machines and maintained both of them. Both of those places offer scanning. I don't know how often they do black and white or E-6 runs.
The BEST used to be Philly Photographic, whose most recent location was on 13th between Walnut and Locust but they closed last year. They were on Arch St. forever before that.
These days I'd send my film to Dwayne's in Kansas if I weren't developing myself. Of course, I have over a 200 roll backlog...
Phil Forrest

So, I can't do my own processing (B&W) any more. There used to be a good lab in Phila on Arch St but I think they are gone now. I don't need volume work but would like quality and I can scan my own. I also like to shoot an occasional roll of slide film. Thank you for your help!

Curious why you cant do it anymore?
I just started using Cinestill DF96 Monobath - one solution for everything - and it is super easy and reusable 18 times.
There is a thread on it.

I have my own personal lab in Philly for developing B&W film.
Feel free to reach out if you'd like, still setting up my site for it.
As far as E6 I know a guy who does it.
There is no lab in Philly for E6

But Color Works in Wilmington Delaware does E6 and Best Photo in Cherry Hill NJ does E6 as well.

I had a complete B&W dark room in my previous home but my wife and I just downsized and there is no room to set one up here. I know just processing film can be done in a bathroom so I guess I was spoiled and overstated a bit. Hey Ben, thanks for the invite. Ill PM my email addy and Id like to follow up. Also thank you Huss and Phil for the come backs. I used Dwaynes in the past and I guess that's still an option. This forum never fails to impress me and answer my questions. Cinestill DF96 Monobath sounds interesting, Ill ck tht out.

Ray, you could take a look at Imago's Lab Box. It's an updated version of the Rondinax but with the abiliity to adapt for both 135 and 120. https://www.freestylephoto.biz/192894-ARS-IMAGO-LAB-BOX-2-Module-Kit-Orange
If you still have developing tanks, a changing bag or something larger like this:https://www.adorama.com/adpfcr.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt4if1reO6gIVnB-tBh3cNwyREAQYASABEgIZTvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-privatelabel
I bought one of the Photoflex Changing Rooms from another member and it works great. After developing, look at the scanning with a digital camera thread. Hope all is well.

Wow, the Lab Box looks to be a winner. I don't have any of my tanks etc from the dark room days as I donated them to a cousin. In combination with Cinstill DF 96 the Lab Box would take care of my B&W processing.

Thank you for your help.

Wow, the Lab Box looks to be a winner. I don't have any of my tanks etc from the dark room days as I donated them to a cousin. In combination with Cinstill DF 96 the Lab Box would take care of my B&W processing.

Thank you for your help.

I'd get the LabBox if I didn't have a dark closet to load film.
My changing bag is too small to comfortably load film into a tank. I've heard there are changing tents, but that seems to much of a pain.

+1 for the Lab-Box option. For someone in your situation it really is easy and worth the money. I'd opt for the crank, and an additional reel or two if you plan on developing more than a roll at a time. The reels must be completely dry for the film to load properly.

Huss, just watched a you tube vid on the use of both 120 and 35 Lab Box and it looks like it works great. I could never load reels using bags ... too clumsy. The only downside is one roll at a time but thats not a big deal for me now.

Yep id get the crank for sure.

Last edited:
any from your high school graduation?

Ha, no, none that old. Come to think of it, I don't think I have or know of any images from that day. I know I had my camera with me, the event happened in the "new" gym, instead of outside, due to the severe thunderstorm and tornado risk. I remember it rained heavily, then by the time we were all walking out, it was just big clouds and some sunshine. That's New Mexico for you. Don't like the weather? Wait an hour.

Regarding my backlog, all of the film is after 2005. Most of it from the last eight years. A few years ago, I developed my last roll of Kodachrome 64 in HC110. The images were of one day on convoy in Fallujah, Iraq. The grain is gorgeous.
I think I also have 1100 feet of 16mm to develop. Good times. Now that grad school is done, the world is basically on fire, it's unsafe to go outside for numerous reasons, and I'm sequestered to the house that I may perish in, I might as well start sticking all that silver in the soup. I can fire up the scanners as well.

Phil Forrest

That's for any reels, not just using the LabBox.

*true for all plastic reels. I personally use stainless steel Hewes reels because I can load them while wet. Just thought I'd mention the need for additional reels since the LabBox is specifically a one reel tank.

Also, to the OP, Indie Photo lab is a decent option. When I lived in Philadelphia until 2017 I would occasionally use Indie, but I preferred Philadelphia Photographics (RIP) because I could ride my bike there from South Philly. Still, nothing beats doing your own black and white, and the LabBox is a great option.

Good luck on getting your film developed!

Phil, congratulations on finishing grad school. Your experiences will be a great value to others. Now get busy and develop some film!

I just don't get the benefit of the lab box, just get a cheap changing bag the website makes it sound like you need a complete darkroom to process a roll of film and loading a reel is really not difficult and if it really worries you start the film on the reel in the light. Its not any faster using it than tradition means and short developing times are not a good idea anyway.

Back