Help on shutter Contax ii

lewfox

Local time
9:57 AM
Help Help
Contax is winning !

I found the left side spring in the lower shutter mechinism badly distorted.

So i got a Kiev to scavange the left side spring.(left means the side opposite the shutter release button to me )

I am stalled until I figure out the number of turns and the direction. I don't want to wreck another spring!

I hope my attached >jpg helps clarify my question.

Then i find the next obsticle?!!

Thanks

Attachments

• graphic shutter question.jpg
    graphic shutter question.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
I can't remember which side goes in which, I just keep them in assorted positions and reinstall in the same orientation.. been a while since removing any.

The screws should be fitted and stay fitted.

Thanks for your reply.
But one question.. when you tighten te 2 screws they seem to fix the springs from movement, Are they, there but not fully tightened ?

Looks like you haven't quite understood how the Contax II shutter works. Those small left and right end springs, located under the small chrome caps, are connected to the main spindle central spring and have to be installed without being tensioned. Put the left little cap back on, fit the small set screws back and you're done (they have to be screwed in full and tightened). The two end sides springs will got properly tensioned in their own rotation way when you will adjust the main spindle spring tension itself, once you have reassembled the whole shutter unit on the camera chassis.

BTW - given that you have noticed some damage at one of the end sides slave springs, it is likely that the central master spindle spring has received some excessive wear as well. It would be wise to replace it by the Kiev donor body spring, too. In this case, do not try to remove the master spring but go for a swap of the whole spindle unit (this means, that you have to take the left end slave spring off the Contax spindle and reinstall it on the Kiev spindle before you swap the whole bottom spindle assembly from one shutter unit to the other).

Back