Help out a flashbulb rookie!

I used a tiny handful of real bulbs, and remember having to deal with magic cubes with my mother's Instamatic before they went on their first trip to Hawaii & the doctors my dad worked for let them borrow the Hospital's Canon AE-1. No going back to an Instamatic and Magicubes for her after that!!!

Or me for that matter. Short time later at the Army PX in Germany the first camera I bought for myself was an AE-1 :)

Let's simply say, I don't really like electronic flash much but I'll use it where appropriate and prefer it over any bulb or cube :)

Just guessing the date but around 1970 I bought a Honeywell 660 strobe. It had an exposure sensor built in and was the best thing since sliced bread. I later had a Graflex IV also and that was a beast. It had a huge battery pack that you wore over your shoulder and had 2 large high voltage batteries in it. It recycled almost instantly, had a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full power switch. At full power it has a robust guide number but it must have weighed 15 pounds and batteries were really expensive.

Then came the Vivitar 283, sweet! They’re still great strobes even today.

When I got the 660 I wasn’t sad to see bulbs go away for daily use, until I got a job with the department of energy then it was like stepping back 15 years shooting with a speed Graphic and flash bulbs. 🙁

Just guessing the date but around 1970 I bought a Honeywell 660 strobe. It had an exposure sensor built in and was the best thing since sliced bread. I later had a Graflex IV also and that was a beast. It had a huge battery pack that you wore over your shoulder and had 2 large high voltage batteries in it. It recycled almost instantly, had a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full power switch. At full power it has a robust guide number but it must have weighed 15 pounds and batteries were really expensive.

Then came the Vivitar 283, sweet! They’re still great strobes even today.

When I got the 660 I wasn’t sad to see bulbs go away for daily use, until I got a job with the department of energy then it was like stepping back 15 years shooting with a speed Graphic and flash bulbs. 🙁

I didn't realize that auto-flash came out as early as 1970. I thought it came out a little later.

I still have several Vivitar 283s, along with a variable power module and an extension cord to use the flash off-camera. (I have a contemporary 285, as well.)

- Murray

I didn't realize that auto-flash came out as early as 1970. I thought it came out a little later.

I still have several Vivitar 283s, along with a variable power module and an extension cord to use the flash off-camera. (I have a contemporary 285, as well.)

- Murray
I wound up with the exact same package but don’t have them any longer. Vivitar really revolutionized the portable strobe business.

I still have 2 of the little pocket units, a 252? And a later one that’s probably 20 years old and both work great. I still use them from time to time.

I’ve had Metz with the TTL modules and Braun high voltage units and none have been any better than the Vivitar. I used both Canon and Nikon digital and especially the current Nikon units are great with huge power but they’re so complicated they’re hard to use unless you use them daily. The beauty of the 283 / 285 was they did one thing and they did it very well. No fuss using them.

Back