Help! Rewind release lever missing on my Leica MP

Nugard

Elvis lives!..
Local time
2:21 PM
Yesterday i was out shooting until the very evening. And only now when I got my camera out of bag to change battaries i noticed that my rewind release lever (on the front of the body, under shutter release button) is missing. I haven't found it in my bag. So I assume it's gone for good... :bang:

So, can someone please tell me where can i find a black paint (glossy) rewind release lever and how much would it cost me? I'm open for any suggestions...

PS: Can I somehow turn the lever to rewind the film inside the camera?

Sorry to hear your trouble. There is a decent chance that Don at DAG Camera has one. He often has random parts that are not listed on his website. He had a NOS M5 frameline unit that I needed one time. He didn't think he had it but he re-checked his parts bins and there it was. Worth a try. His price is often fair IMHO. At least a lot better than eBay or likely Leica.

I would be very surprised if Leica would not supply one for free if you tell them what happened!
When I asked about a replacement VF glass thats what happened.

I would be very surprised if Leica would not supply one for free if you tell them what happened!
When I asked about a replacement VF glass thats what happened.

I wish... Unfortunately my Leica MP a la carte ain't on warranty since 2010... I did send it for CLA to the factory in Solms, but it was in 2009. So everything they did - was for free.

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if they would send me a spare lever.:(

To the lever belongs a screw. Did you loose that too?

You can borrow the lever from another camera to rewind the film.

I hope that the absence of the lever does not fog the film.

Erik.

To the lever belongs a screw. Did you loose that too?

You can borrow the lever from another camera to rewind the film.

I hope that the absence of the lever does not fog the film.

Erik.

Apparently I did lost the screw, otherwise I don't see the reason to lost a lever in the first place.

I don't have another Leica...

Wow, I wasn't thinking of possible fogging.. Hope that absence of a lever doesn't affect the film inside...:eek:

I wrote to Leica customer service: [email protected], [email protected].
Also, wrote to the DAG: [email protected].

Waiting for the answers to come...

Maybe someone knows any other emails of those who fix Leicas whom I can ask for a spare lever to sell?:eek:

I wish... Unfortunately my Leica MP a la carte ain't on warranty since 2010... I did send it for CLA to the factory in Solms, but it was in 2009. So everything they did - was for free.

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if they would send me a spare lever.:(

Still, you can ask. Leica can be very good that way.

Dear Jaap,

No, no, no. Leica are evil and wicked and vile and their sole concern is to rip off innocent but financially overprivileged fools. Didn't you get the memo? Because there are plenty of people right here on RFF who will willingly send you a copy.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is just a fanboy.

Cheers,

R.

I've got an answer from Leica:

"Please contact:
[email protected]
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards
Marco Demant
Leica Camera AG
Customer Care
Am Leitz-Park 5/ D-35578 Wetzlar / Germany
www.leica-camera.com / [email protected]
Telephone +49(0)6441-2080-229 / Fax +49(0)6441-2080-490
"

Apparently, it's an email of the nearest service center which is in Russia, as I've guessed from the email address... Wrote an email to there... Still wondering what to do next...

Dear Jaap,

No, no, no. Leica are evil and wicked and vile and their sole concern is to rip off innocent but financially overprivileged fools. Didn't you get the memo? Because there are plenty of people right here on RFF who will willingly send you a copy.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is just a fanboy.

Cheers,

R.
Ah - I see. It must be my charming presence that bowls the ladies at Customer Service over then... I have been known to send them flowers. (In fact, I actually did once to thank for service way beyond the call of duty)

Can someone please say whether the film inside the camera might be affected as the result of the absence of this knob?..

After looking at several M chassis here, I can't imagine that the film would be fogged.

No. Don't concern yourself.

Back