HELP. SD Card cannot be opened

I will check it out, David. Thank you. Some people have cautioned me not to connect ever the M8 to the computer.

Isn't it a special Leica cord?

I'd like to answer that but have broken a finger nail trying to open the cover on the M9 and look at the socket. My guess is that it's a normal USB socket but you never know.

I will check it out, David. Thank you. Some people have cautioned me not to connect ever the M8 to the computer.

The M8 port is the same as the M9 port. The cable is one of the two "mini USB" type B connectors (there's a rounded one and a squarish one, the gods only know why...!) to standard USB type A connector, IIRC (I may be off on the type B and type A designations, but it's just a standard cable...). I can't imagine why you should 'never connect the M8 to the computer' ...?

I only ever connected my M9 to my computer once. It worked just fine.

I'm glad you've gotten your files off the SD card. One possibility is that flipping the lock switch a couple of times might have been what made it work finally, if you did that. This just came to mind: I've had a couple of USB cards where a slight touch of the write lock switch would put it into an intermediate position and then the camera didn't know what the card was. Taking the card out and flipping the switch full off, putting it back in, pulling it out again and turning the switch full on restored the camera's ability to see the card.

Get all the files off the card, reformat it with the "SD Card Formatter" utility app, and then go forward with it. :D

G

With my digital Canon DSLR cameras I use a card for each camera. Switching caused problems for me.

Thought I’d share with you.

The M8 port is the same as the M9 port. The cable is one of the two "mini USB" type B connectors (there's a rounded one and a squarish one, the gods only know why...!) to standard USB type A connector, IIRC (I may be off on the type B and type A designations, but it's just a standard cable...). I can't imagine why you should 'never connect the M8 to the computer' ...?

I only ever connected my M9 to my computer once. It worked just fine.

I'm glad you've gotten your files off the SD card. One possibility is that flipping the lock switch a couple of times might have been what made it work finally, if you did that. This just came to mind: I've had a couple of USB cards where a slight touch of the write lock switch would put it into an intermediate position and then the camera didn't know what the card was. Taking the card out and flipping the switch full off, putting it back in, pulling it out again and turning the switch full on restored the camera's ability to see the card.

Get all the files off the card, reformat it with the "SD Card Formatter" utility app, and then go forward with it. :D

G

I have gotten the images to an external drive, and I will next format the card. I use specific cards in the M9 and other cards in the M8. I did actually flip the lock switch a couple of times!!

With my digital Canon DSLR cameras I use a card for each camera. Switching caused problems for me.

Thought I’d share with you.

I read about such an issue, and I have been keeping cards separated for M8 and M9. Same goes for batteries.

I have gotten the images to an external drive, and I will next format the card. I use specific cards in the M9 and other cards in the M8. I did actually flip the lock switch a couple of times!!

How big it is? How much will it cost to purchase a new one?

Format it and TRASH IT!

Just a thought from the cheap seats.

Very happy to hear you've gotten the picture recovered.

B2 (;->

I'm with Bill. Glad you got it sorted.

Toss the card and get a new one. I never trust a card again after something like that. Not with anything I care about anyway. New high-speed, high endurance cards are cheap as chips these days, especially compared to what we used to pay. ~$25-30 for high-quality cards.

WOW! I guess, I could just throw way this card. I filled it up with images to the top. Wasn't it my fault? It is a 16 GB card. It can be replaced. No big deal.

...I'm glad you've gotten your files off the SD card. One possibility is that flipping the lock switch a couple of times might have been what made it work finally, if you did that. This just came to mind: I've had a couple of USB cards where a slight touch of the write lock switch would put it into an intermediate position and then the camera didn't know what the card was. Taking the card out and flipping the switch full off, putting it back in, pulling it out again and turning the switch full on restored the camera's ability to see the card.

G

Interesting, my first reaction was that it would probably fire up after being put in and out of card slots a few times; hence my comment about waiting a day in my first post. Experience tells me that a slight "high resistance" can be behind a lot of transient computer problems. I can remember in the late 40's and early 50's that TV's etc were often cured of faults with a fine brass wire brush used on valve pins. Nothing has changed. ;-) But as it was reacting differently in the M8 and M9 I wondered if it was the socket; we will never know...

Regards, David

....Wasn't it my fault?.....

I haven't gone through what you did to restore access to your picture, but frankly, it's not worth the chance of you not being at fault.

This hasn't happened before so my finger is pointed to something about the card. SD cards come in many different qualities and with the way you LOVE photography, I'd recommend you get a good quality/name brand cards. Not that I have a clue as to what good vs cheap are.

Even if the card in question is from a great manufacturer, get a different one. It's a cost vs. time to track down the root cause sort of thing. You might think of an SD card like the film base.

B2 (;->

It's a great pity we have to buy such huge cards; meaning we damage or lose a lot of pictures when they fail. And by "a lot" I mean about 4,500 to judge by a 16GB card in my LX5.

Regards, David

It's a great pity we have to buy such huge cards; meaning we damage or lose a lot of pictures when they fail. And by "a lot" I mean about 4,500 to judge by a 16GB card in my LX5.

I never worry about such things. I use 128G SD cards in my cameras nowadays, mostly. There are often 2000 to 2500 raw files (each raw file is about 45megabytes) on them. None of my cards has ever failed. I tend to read out the most recent shooting session immediately and copy the file over to my original image library, so if I card dies I'm only out the photos that were made since my last shooting session. Not a big deal ... I rarely shoot more than 20 exposures in a shooting session.

I hated it when I had only small storage cards. Had to carry a handful of them all the time, and come up with clever ways to note which were used and which weren't, etc. Similarly, I've never been careful to keep a particular card dedicated to a particular camera ... I just format a card with SD Card Formatter first, and then use it. Never had a problem.

Perhaps I'm lucky. But I won't waste energy worrying about stuff that, in my experience, makes no difference at all. :)

G

I think the key is the word "lucky" as I've had two fail; one brand new (used for a holiday) and one not so new. I've also lost one, dropped somewhere and never found.

By the way, I put the cards in those little plastic cases with a piece of paper that's folded in two to give four pages. Three pages have a message, viz "Full", "Ready to Use" and "Format" and whatever is needed to remind me faces outwards with the media card behind it.

Regards, David

Regards, David

Don't leave them on the card. "Develop" your shots after taking them.

Shawn

Interesting, I have never experienced this issue using film.

True.

But then I've never had scratches, dust, bad processing, water marks, QC guy cutting into my image, light leaks, frame overlap, curling, sprockets tearing or failure to advance with my SD cards. ;)

Shawn

Here's my experience with this.

I rescued one once. The Mac couldn't see it. The PC laptop running Windows XP could see the card but not the contents. I reformatted the card - FAT32 I think. The Mac could then see it and SanDisk Rescue Pro retrieved nearly all of the images.

I know I had one instance of the PC being the winner, but here's an old thread where the Mac rescued the situation. Read down the block capitals RECOVERY OF IMAGES post.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-117806.html

Back