HELP!! The sky has just fallen (not really, but I just broke the ribbon flexible cable in Coolscan 9000).

yossi

Well-known
Local time
8:12 PM
As above. I am so very sad now😭

This Coolscan 9000 has served me well for nearly 10 years. Ever since Nikon SG stopped serving it few years ago, I had done a DIY mirror cleaning with no issue. Today I opened it up and did a good cleaning of the dusty mirror and after I assembled in and powered it up, its yellow LED showed error. I opened it up again and detected that one end of the ribbon flexible cable was not installed properly and when I tried to push it into the slot, one corner of the flexible cable broke!! (as shown in picture below.)

I am not sure if is a standard replaceable part (doubt very much so). If someone here had encountered the same issue and had a solution, or know of who could service it, could you please kindly share your solution. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_7225.jpg
    IMG_7225.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 30
You could try reaching it out Gleb Sthengel, his website is here:

He may be able to help. However I hate to tell you that my hunch tells me this might be very well a pricey affair.
I recently refurbished a Coolscan 9000 but I prefer my Dimage Scan Multi, but anyway yeah I noticed that the internal cabling etc is quite delicate.

Good luck!

You could try reaching it out Gleb Sthengel, his website is here:

He may be able to help. However I hate to tell you that my hunch tells me this might be very well a pricey affair.
I recently refurbished a Coolscan 9000 but I prefer my Dimage Scan Multi, but anyway yeah I noticed that the internal cabling etc is quite delicate.

Good luck!
Thanks @TeenEleven.

I have sent him an email. I also joined the Nikon Coolscan Users FB group. Very helpful and friendly group.

As a last ditch option you could potentially use the ribbon cable for the connections that still work and then hard wire the rest using kynar wire wrap wire. 28 or 30 gauge for most of the connections should be fine but on the thicker ones you should either go thicker or double/triple the runs. If you get pre-cut it is easier to work with and then just solder it to the connectors at the ribbon cable header on the circuit boards. If that ribbon cable moves you will want to put strain relief after the solder points, hot glue the wire to the board. The wire itself is very very flexible and should handle the movement, you just don't want the joint to fail. Probably tape the wires to the ribbon cable to make sure they can't get hung up on anything else inside if it moves too.

Thanks shawn. Great idea!

I'm currently looking/sourcing for a replacement FPC. If all else failed, I might have to try your suggestion.

You could try someplace like digikey or mouser and see if you can find a similar cable at least as far as number of connectors, pitch and length. Might not be able to find it with the thicker trackers though it looks like it combines multiple pins for that so you would at least be getting some traces doubled/tripled up. If you could find that it might be OK as is, if you need more current capacity run thicker wire wrapping wire just for the power traces.

Someone from the Nikon Scanner Users group/fb has recommended an off-the-shelf FPC at digikey that is said to be compatible with the original FPC. I had ordered a few of them to try out. Hopefully it works.

Update: my Coolscan 9000 sad story has just ended, in the most unexpected but happy way! Out of sheer kindness, someone made an exception and sent me an original replacement FPC for the Coolscan🙏 I carefully (but quite nervously) installed it and only after the second attempt, the Coolscan sprang to life!! What can I say. I am overjoyed and really very grateful !

There are still beautiful things in this troubled world, such as this act of kindness.

Last edited:
Back